Students majoring or minoring in a foreign
language are strongly urged to spend time, either during the Minimester, Summer, or
academic (Fall/Spring) year, in a country where the chosen language is
spoken. The Department of Foreign Languages enthusiastically supports programs offered through the university's Study
Abroad Office. Students can choose from an exciting variety of options including faculty-led programs, exchange, and affiliate programs. The cost to participate varies from program to program, as do the services included. Federal financial aid is available as well as Study Abroad scholarships. For more information, visit the TU Study Abroad Office website.
All Foreign Language majors and minors must have their study abroad curriculum approved by their Foreign Languages advisor and the Foreign Languages Chair prior to traveling abroad.
Upcoming group trips led by Foreign Languages faculty:
I'd like to share information about a wonderful opportunity to study abroad this summer. The Spanish Language and Culture Program in Spain sponsored by Towson University's Foreign Languages Department. I will direct the program in summer 2015 and I have directed on three previous occasions.
This program has run each summer for more than 10 years. It's a wonderful program. Here are some highlights:
• Faculty-led. That means I support you through the process from course selection at TU to studies in Spain, family stays and activities in Spain.
• Program is a Towson Program. This means you do not have to transfer credits. I have many years of experience as an advisor at Towson and will assist you in choosing courses that fulfill major, minor, and other academic requirements.
• Study Spanish at Estudio Sampere. Estudio Sampere is located in the Salamanca neighborhood - one of the nicest in Madrid and just a block from the beautiful Retiro Park. Class sizes are small and students in the past have loved their teachers.
• Homestays with Spanish families. Students stay with Spanish families in pairs. Homestays include 3 meals a day. Students report their homestays to be one of the highlights of their experience in Spain.
• Excursions. The program includes two full day excursions to Toledo and to Segovia - two of the most picturesque and historic cities in Spain. The program also includes many local excursions to key sites including the Royal Palace, Museum of Queen Sofia, Prado Museum, a walking tour of historic Madrid.... There is also ample time in the schedule to do excursions and other cultural activities in and around Madrid.
• Madrid and Alicante. Students may choose to participate in the month long program in Madrid (central Spain) or a month in Madrid plus two weeks in Alicante on the Mediterranean coast.
• Scholarships are available through the Study Abroad Office and other organizations.
I am happy to speak with you about the program. Please let me know if I may provide further information or answer any questions. And, if you know you'd like to apply, please to so by March 1 for a chance to win a $100 STA Travel gift card. Application deadline is March 15, 2015. As a student of Spanish, this is a great opportunity for you.
Check out our Foreign Languages Bulliten Board, located across from LA 4118, for more information!