Towson University's Summer in Maryland and Winter in Maryland programs provide the opportunity for students from overseas to come to the United States to improve their conversational English while experiencing American life and culture.
The Summer or Winter in Maryland Program includes:
- An English proficiency test administered to help teachers provide appropriate instruction for each participant's individual level.
- Intensive English language instruction. Students attend daily classes and weekly conversation and community service activities totaling 60 or more hours of language instruction:
- Classroom lessons taught by the professional university faculty of the English Language Center emphasize speaking, and include internet-based TOEFL (iBT) training in listening, reading, speaking, and writing.
- Conversational activities with American students and families improve general speaking skills. This practice helps students gain self-confidence speaking in public and with other students in the program.
- Community service learning projects provide enriching experiences and additional opportunities for students to communicate, learn, help the local community and grow on a personal level.
- On-campus housing and access to Towson University services, including the campus library, dining halls, athletic facilities, etc. (Housing on campus is secure with room key/card, and security personnel/receptionists are available 24 hours per day.)
- Lunches provided weekdays at Glen Dining Hall, where students can choose from a variety of menus and can eat as much or little as they desire.
- A family connection program, allowing participants the unique opportunity to meet a local-area "typical" American family.
- Trips and excursions including but not limited to Baltimore City, Washington DC, and New York City.
- A certificate of completion awarded at the end of the program upon successful completion.
- Two Towson University credits earned at the completion of the program. These credits may be transferrable to a home institution.
Note: students who will be residing in the Towson area with family or friends may contact the International Partnerships Office regarding participation at a reduced rate. Additionally, students may enroll in classes only and pay for trips, meals, health insurance, etc. on an a-la-carte basis.
Additional supplementary information on the Summer/Winter in Maryland Program at Towson University is available upon request in:
Interested in Learning More?
Please feel free to send us an e-mail. Students may enroll by completing an application and submitting the necessary documentation.
Scott Pierson, Director
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org