Towson University's Summer in Maryland and Winter in Maryland programs provide the opportunity for students from overseas to come to the United
States to improve their conversational English while experiencing American life and
Translate this web site.
The Summer or Winter in Maryland Program includes:
- An English proficiency test administered to help teachers provide appropriate instruction
for each participant's individual level.
- Intensive English language instruction. Students attend daily classes and weekly conversation
and community service activities totaling 60 or more hours of language instruction:
- Classroom lessons taught by the professional university faculty of the English Language
Center emphasize speaking, and include internet-based TOEFL (iBT) training in listening,
reading, speaking, and writing.
- Conversational activities with American students and families improve general speaking
skills. This practice helps students gain self-confidence speaking in public and with
other students in the program.
- Community service learning projects provide enriching experiences and additional opportunities
for students to communicate, learn, help the local community and grow on a personal
- On-campus housing and access to Towson University services, including the campus library,
dining halls, athletic facilities, etc. (Housing on campus is secure with room key/card,
and security personnel/receptionists are available 24 hours per day.)
- Lunches provided weekdays at Glen Dining Hall, where students can choose from a variety
of menus and can eat as much or little as they desire.
- A family connection program, allowing participants the unique opportunity to meet
a local-area "typical" American family.
- Trips and excursions including but not limited to Baltimore City, Washington DC, and
New York City.
- A certificate of completion awarded at the end of the program upon successful completion.
- Two Towson University credits earned at the completion of the program. These credits
may be transferrable to a home institution.
Note: students who will be residing in the Towson area with family or friends may
contact the International Partnerships Office regarding participation at a reduced
rate. Additionally, students may enroll in classes only and pay for trips, meals,
health insurance, etc. on an a-la-carte basis.
Additional supplementary information on the Summer/Winter in Maryland Program at Towson
University is available upon request in:
Interested in Learning More?
Please feel free to send us an e-mail. Students may enroll by completing an application
and submitting the necessary documentation.
Scott Pierson, Director
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org