Towson University supports personal and professional growth by recognizing and developing positive leadership philosophies and styles. The university encourages faculty and staff to participate in the numerous opportunities for leadership development, which has been identified as one of the ten priorities outlined in our strategic plan, TU 2020.
The Office of Human Resources is committed to providing and enhancing development programs and increasing support for participation. Your development is not only encouraged, it is imperative to the future success of this institution.
New Hire Faculty & Staff
From day one, the Office of Human Resources is committed to ensuring your long-term success at Towson University. Please click on the links below to become familiar with the campus community.
- Connections, New Hire Orientation (your first day at TU)
- Compliance Training (for faculty and staff)
- New@TU (resource page for new hire faculty and staff)
Current Faculty and Staff
Employees should attend training programs during scheduled work hours, subject to the operational needs of the department, and with the approval of their supervisors. Employees need to be partners, with the supervisors, in their development.
- Annual Service Awards
- Building Bridges Across Maryland (for staff only)
- Compliance Training
- eLearning (Towson's eLearning Center - TEC)
- Financial Knowledge Certificate
- Staff Mentorship Program
- Training & Development Schedule
You are encouraged to work with each employee to achieve performance goals by identifying job-specific training needs. They also should be mindful of their employees’ development and encourage them to take advantage of the opportunities and resources available to them at the university.
The Training and Development Unit is available to help you with your specific department or group training needs. We can assist by identifying resources and/or customized options to help you achieve the best results. Please send requests via email containing the type of training needed and desired date(s) and time(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
These training and development opportunities are available to you as Managers/ Supervisors:
- Step 1: Complete What Every Manager/ Supervisor Should Know certificate
- Management & Supervision Certificate (discontinued as of June 2015. If you are currently enrolled, you can complete the certificate. Please see ESP below).
- Step 2: Complete the Effective Supervision Program (ESP)
- Step 3a: Complete one or more of the Post-ESP certificates
- Performance Management
- Supervisors and the Law (coming soon)
- Step 3b: Complete the Leadership Certificate
Other Learning Opportunities
- Computer-based Training (offered by OTS)
- Tuition Remission
Other Helpful Links
Training and Development Unit Staff
Mike Noll, Training and Development Manager
Debbie Phillips, Training and Development Associate