As members of the Towson University community, faculty, staff and students are able to download and install certain software titles for free. You will need to log in with your NetID and password to access university site-licensed software. The Office of Technology Services (OTS) has also provided links to recommended freeware which will not require authentication.
- Antivirus Software for Personally Owned Computers
If you don’t have an up-to-date, preferred product on your personally-owned Windows computer (e.g., Symantec, McAfee, etc.) install the free Microsoft Security Essentials product. (See link below.) It is the home version of what we use on campus—Forefront Endpoint Protection.
For Macs, some leading no-cost options include Avast, Sophos, Avira, and ClamX. While Forefront may ship for the Mac, it is not yet available, so please protect yourself with another product for now. And yes, we recommend Macs be protected; they are not immune.
Computers in offices, classrooms, and labs already have malware protection installed—no need to add it.
In order to keep your computer safe from viruses, you should install an antivirus/antispyware program and make sure it stays up-to-date. OTS recommends the use of Microsoft Security Essentials as a free solution for home users. The software works on most versions of Windows. Click here to download Microsoft Security Essentials.
OTS recommends ClamXav for Macs. The software is free and is compatible with Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion. Click here to download ClamXav for Macs.
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Clients for Windows, Mac and Unix
FTP programs are used to transfer files between your local computer and FTP servers (e.g., Tiger and Triton). OTS recommends using Filezilla to transfer files. Click here to select and download the Filezilla client for your operating system.
For Faculty Staff and Students
The following listed software can be downloaded by clicking here. You will need to log in with your NetID and password.
- Antivirus Software
- Citrix Web Client to access Virtual Workspace
- Cisco VPN (Virtual Private Network) Client
- SSH (Secure Shell) Client
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) Client
- Mathematica (Student version)
- Mathematica (Faculty/Staff version)
- TeamSpot Client
- OTS Alerts Gadget for Windows Vista & Windows 7
- Windows XP Updates for Wireless Connection
For Faculty and Staff Only
Faculty and staff, click here and login with your NetID and password to access the items below.
- Apple iOS Device Configuration
- KSMB Printing for Macintosh Systems
- Towson University Fonts, Logos and Templates