About TU

Facilities Management

Materiel Management

Moving Services

Moving boxes

We assist TU departments with moving offices; moving furniture and property for renovations or rearrangements; and moving property for disposal, transfer, donation or sale. Submit a Materiel Management Service Request (MMSR) via fax in order to request moving services. Please note that the MMSR requires that university property be identified by its property tag number. If upon inspection, a property tag number cannot be found, a serial number will be required. All electronics have serial numbers. Most likely the property without a property tag number or a serial number will fall into the category for furniture.


Moving Costs

In general, in-house moves are not charged to the department. However, moves that must be outsourced due to size or time constraints are charged to the department moving, unless it is funded by the university as part of a capital project. In addition, all non-routine expenses associated with in-house moves will be charged to the department moving. This may include overtime costs, the wages of any temporary personnel hired to assist the university moving crew, and the costs of renting any additional trucks or special equipment for the move. The cost of moving crates and dollies that are damaged, lost or loaned for longer than five working days will also be charged to department. The cost of crates and dollies that are on extended loan will be reimbursed to the department upon return.


Office Moving Guide

Preparation is the key to a smooth move. We recommend that all employees read the information below to help prepare for your move.

Scheduling Your Move
  • Complete the MMSR. If moving an entire office, enter the number of rooms in the quantity field and the word "office/s" in the description field. Don't forget to fill in the “from” and “to” fields, e.g. from General Services (GS) to Administration (AD). See a sample MMSR and instructions for completing the form for clarification.
  • For large moves of four or more offices, you should notify Moving Services during the early stages of the planning process. Typically, at least two weeks’ notice is acceptable, although for very large moves such as entire departments two or more months may be needed to coordinate the necessary resources. If you have a date in mind, make sure that you have discussed it with all involved parties, including Facilities Management (planners, project manager, locksmith), Office of Technology Services, Telecommunications and new furniture supplier and contractors.
  • A member of our staff will visit your area to assess the scope of your move and the resources and time required. In most cases, we will arrange to send you packing materials, such as crates and/or cartons, tape, labels, etc.
  • Inform Mail Services, Human Resources, Procurement, OTS and all other business associates and contacts of your new address. Don't forget to change your stationery, update the university directory and inform the building coordinators so that they can update the mail distribution lists.
Preparing for your move


  • Your department or office must assign at least one contact person to work with Materiel Management to prepare for the move. This person will be known as the move coordinator.
  • Back up computer data
  • Make sure to have an inventory list of all items being moved—this will enable you to keep track of the property and ensure nothing is lost.
  • Identify and record any pre-existing damage to the property being moved. Be specific and identify them with property tag numbers or serial numbers when available.
  • Diagram how you would like your room/office set up so that the movers know when and where to place the furniture. Prior to diagramming, measure your new space to ensure that you provide adequate room for furniture placement.
  • Submit a separate MMSR for property that you want disposed, sold or donated.
  • Assist the University in meeting its sustainability goals by properly disposing of those things - old furniture, equipment, and records - that you do not want to take to your new location by following the instructions in the following link:
  • All packing and other preparations must be completed prior to the start of the move.
  • Materiel Management does not offer packing services; thus packing is the responsibility of the department and/or individual moving. Departments can hire an independent contractor to pack, but it will be at the (very often substantial) cost of the department.
  • Depending on the type of move, we will supply you with plastic crates, dolly sets or cardboard boxes for packing. Crates are generally used for smaller moves, while boxes are used for large moves and/or moves in which the materials will be stored for a period of time before unpacking. These items are typically free of charge, although damaged, lost or extended-loan items will be billed to the department.
  • Crates and dollies are generally loaned to departments for a five-day packing period. If you need the materials for longer than this period of time, submit a request in writing to Materiel Management alongside your departmental budget and subcode. The items will be direct-billed to your account until they are returned.
  • Departments must secure a signed receipt from Materiel Management when the crates are delivered and when they are picked up.
  • When cardboard cartons are used for your move, be sure to properly assemble and seal each carton following the long bottom seam from end to end with at least two strips of box-sealing tape. The tops must be sealed in the same fashion. This makes stacking cartons easy and stable, both during your packing and when they have to be stacked on dollies for moving.
  • Materiel Management will provide removable labels for your move. Materiel Management will assign you with a unique identification number to be written on all labels for your move.
  • Everything moving must have a label. The general rule of thumb for packing is if it fits into a crate or carton, pack it. If it does not, label it.
  • Print only your assigned number on your labels—nothing else—and then place them in a uniform, conspicuous location to ensure efficient moving. On boxes, labels should be applied on one end of the long center seam, not the top or sides, so that they can be seen when moving.
  • Property no longer needed should NOT be labeled to move. An MMSR should be submitted in advance to request that these items be disposed of, sold, donated or traded in.

Additional information on the packing of specific items is listed below. Please note that movers cannot be held liable for damages caused as a result of the department's failure to properly prepare equipment for the move.



Can it be Moved?

How to pack



Pack all contents.

Bulletin boards


If secured, Facilities Management staff can remove these items from the wall. Place them on end, back-to-back in carton. If the item does not fit in a carton, lean it against the wall and the mover will take it from there. Label each piece.



Pack all contents and lock cabinet doors

Computers and office machines


Do not pack these machines!   Leave them on top of desks. All machines must be disconnected from each other and their power sources. Pads and covers for machines should be packed. Pack all removable cables together in one place and use rubber bands to wrap cables permanently attached to the equipment. Movers will give particular attention to all of these units.

Electronic data


All computer data should be backed up and all storage media (e.g. discs, tapes) should be packed and transported by department staff.

File cabinets - horizontal


Lateral file cabinets with more than two drawers must be emptied and contents packed.

File cabinets - vertical


Lock all file cabinets. Standard drawer, vertical file cabinets generally do not have to be emptied for the move. The mover will let you know during the pre-move visits and meetings if yours needs to be partially or completely emptied.

Stackable files must be disassembled if they are connected. In addition to an area number label, an alphabetical designation should be used to assist in returning cabinets to proper order, for example “3A”, “3B”, etc.  

Glass & other breakable items


Protect all glass with paper or other stuffing. Leave glass tops and pads on top of desks for the mover.



All keys for doors, cabinets, drawers, etc. should be wire- tagged, coded to the locks they fit and packed in one safe place. All keys for doors, cabinets, drawers, etc. should be wire-tagged and coded to the locks they fit and packed in one safe place.

Questions about keys should be directed to the Central Key Coordinator at x4-2761.



Pack all contents and close/lock lockers if possible.



Materiel Management generally does not remove items attached to the walls or flooring. Contact Facilities Management for these types of needs.

Personal property


The university and/or contracted mover are not liable for personal property. For your own protection, we suggest that you move these items yourself.

Pictures, maps and other wall hangings


If secured, Facilities Management staff can remove these items from the wall. Place them on end, back-to-back in carton. If the item does not fit in a carton, lean it against the wall and the mover will take it from there. Label each piece. Consolidate small pictures in one container. Cushion with packing materials such as newspaper.



Professional servicing may be required for special or large printers. Make sure to remove or otherwise secure the toner cartridge prior to the move.



Prior to moving, evaluate your records to determine if anything can be disposed prior to the move. Generally, you must manage your records as outlined on your department's approved Records Retention and Disposal Schedule. For more information, go to Records & Property Management.



Defrost the refrigerator and empty the drain pans. All equipment containing liquid must be drained or otherwise prepped prior to the move.



If secured, Facilities Management staff can remove these items from the wall. Place them on end, back-to-back in carton. If the item does not fit in a carton, lean it against the wall and the mover will take it from there. Label each piece.

Small items


Seal paper clips, pencils and all other loose materials in envelopes and then pack them in cartons.

Special Equipment


Professional servicing may be required for copiers and other equipment. The department's move coordinator should make all special arrangements well before the moving date.



We generally do not remove trash unless it is too large or heavy for Housekeeping staff to handle. This must be stated on the MMSR form in order for us to respond to the request.


After the move

Please help us recycle and reuse moving boxes! After unpacking, fold the boxes flat, place them in a secure area and call x4-2479 for pick up. Mark or label as “NOT TRASH.”  


Materiel Management

General Services , Room 115

Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Receiving Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2479

Fax: 410-704-2644

Email: pbutler@towson.edu






University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now