VIII - 2.31 - UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SYSTEM POLICY ON TUITION WAIVER
FOR CERTAIN MEMBERS OF THE MARYLAND NATIONAL GUARD
(Approved by the Board of Regents, July 12, 1996)
It is the purpose of this policy to permit USM institutions to waive 50% of the
tuition, for a maximum of six credits per semester, for certain members of the
Maryland National Guard who are admitted at institutions of the University System
of Maryland and register for credit courses on a space available basis.
1. Each USM institution may elect to waive 50% of the undergraduate or graduate
tuition, for a maximum of six credit hours per semester, for regular or special
status students enrolled in credit courses.
2. In order to be eligible to participate, a MNG member must have at least 24
months remaining to serve in the MNG, as certified by the member's Company Commander,
or have agreed in writing to serve for a minimum of 24 months.
3. MNG members who wish to register under the provisions of this policy must
be admitted through normal procedures to an institution of the USM prior to enrolling
4. The member's active status and eligibility for participation in this program
must be certified by the member's Company Commander at least 30 days prior to
the first day of the normal registration period.
5. MNG members may register for up to six credit per regular fall and spring
semester at reduced tuition rates. Registration will be on a space available
basis; each institution shall adopt procedures to determine space availability,
consistent with procedures currently in use for participants in other waiver
programs (e.g. Golden ID program).
6. This policy applies to regular tuition charges for the instructional program
only. Fees, which include such things as registration, application, laboratory
or appropriate self0support fees, are not included under this policy.
7. Except for emergencies, health services at institutions where they exist,
will not be available to MNG unless they are enrolled as regular full-time students
and have paid the required student health fee.
8. MNG members will be entitled to all normal academic support services, such
as library access and academic/career counseling services, consistent with those
services provided to other full-and part-time students.
9. The participation in the tuition waiver program for MNG members is at the
discretion of each institution and, not applicable to the professional schools
of UMAB and UB. Institutions may limit access to specific programs and courses
e.g. high demand, low enrollment, or self support, as warranted; a list of programs
not available to MNG members through this waiver program shall be on file in
the Office of the Chancellor and updated annually.
10. If a recipient of the tuition waiver is discharged for a reason designated
by the member's Company Commander, the tuition waiver terminates and the member
owes the institution, within 30 days of discharge, the amount of the tuition
waived for that semester.
11. Each institution shall develop procedures for the implementation of this
policy, including the development of whatever forms it deems necessary for tracking
use of the waiver program.
12. Benefits provided to MNG members under this policy will be identified separately
in the annual financial aid reports to UMSA and MHEC.
The Bursar's Office
Enrollment Service Center, Room 336 (map)
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Customer Service Center)
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Payment and
Rebate Check Disbursement Center )