First, complete the required form. The forms are interactive on the web site and can be filled out on-screen. They incorporate the detailed information that must be provided in the request for a new department number including anticipated expenditures and revenues if any.
Second, print the form and obtain the required signatures. Bring or send the completed form to Financial Services in the Administration Building. The requestor and the divisional budget officer will be notified by e-mail when the new department number has been assigned. Signature authorization forms will be sent through campus mail to the Responsible Person listed on the request form.
Requesting Changes to a Department Number: The PeopleSoft Financials Team must be made aware of any changes in order to update the university chart of accounts, departmental tree structures, combo edit rules, and the nVision report book. The request must come from the current responsible person; or, if that person is no longer available, the request must come from the dean. Additionally, re-organizations within departments or divisions must be communicated to the Financials Team because of the potential effect on the chart of accounts and the roll-up effect on budget reporting.
Closing a Department Number: Closing a department requires coordination of several factors:
- Department must give consideration to any possible outstanding expenditure or revenue items that may not yet have posted.
- Department must make decisions about any remaining balance.
- Department must inform other areas that may be using the department number, including Payroll, Post Office, Telecommunications, Printing Center, etc that the number will no longer exist.
- Department must coordinate any cancellation and re-application of procurement cards.
The PeopleSoft Financials System is used for several financial functions including:
- Accounting: financial statements, balance sheets, agency reporting
- Accounts Payable: online vendor system to pay expenditures
- Procurement: online system of requisitions and purchase orders
- Budget Tracking: general ledger system to post and monitor departmental and program budgets using an established chart of accounts.
The chart of accounts incorporates four different types of department numbers distinguished by different funding sources. Types of Department Numbers
For assistance, contact the Financials Team at PSteam@towson.edu or 410-704-5599 option 2