About TU


PeopleSoft Financials Logo

Financial Services Most Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find three sections of information.

To have your question appear here, please

submit to ewatts@towson.edu


1. Help With Budget, Journals, etc

Who do I contact if I need more information or have questions about anything?

  • A broad range of contact phone numbers and web sites have been published at 'Who to Call Contacts'.  If you don't see what you need, call our Help Line at 4-5599.

Why is there a discrepancy between the Budget Overview and nVision Reporting?

  • This is a timing issue. When a journal is budget checked it shows in the Overview; however, it doesn't show in nVision reports until it is actually posted.

How do I become an authorized signer for my department?

  • If you are not authorized to sign invoices for your department and you should be, follow the link to the Authorized Signature Form. Fill out the required information, sign the form, have your department head sign the form, and forward the printed copy to the PeopleSoft Team in Financial Services.

What do I need to do to get a new department number set up?

  • First go to: criteria for a new department to see initial requirements.

  • Second, go to our forms directory and scroll down to PeopleSoft Financials request forms.  Select the form for the type of department you are requesting (state funded or self or agency funded). Fill out the form, get all appropriate signatures and forward the completed form to Ella Watts in Financial Services.

Are "interdepartmental invoice forms" still being used or is there another procedure?

  • These requests should be submitted with an online journal along with an e-mail to the PeopleSoft Financials Team at psteam@towson.edu  for the journal to be processed.
  • The 3-part forms can still be used until the end of 2015 fiscal year. Then the process will go to on-line submission only. To obtain the forms call Financial Services 4-2190. The forms, in sequential number order, will be logged out to you.


Are there specific steps that I need to follow when processing Interdepartmental Invoices?


What is an Initiative? I see this field on the Journal Upload and on the ProCard reallocation screen. Should I be using it?

  • An Initiative is a PeopleSoft Chartfield that allows you to do additional tracking of your transactions. The Initiative value will show on your nVision report and allows you to sort/group transactions. More information can be found on our Hot Topics page Announcements.


Source is a field encountered in Journal entries. The Spreadsheet Upload function does not provide a drop-down box of choices. Is there a definitive list of Sources?

  • Yes. The Journal Source serves two primary functions. It identifies the originating department or area; and, it determines whether the transaction is interfaced to R*Stars. It may also be used as search criteria in reporting.  See Listing of Journal Sources.

In the Journal Upload Process, is there a definitive resource that can be referenced when we have issues with editing, correcting and saving journals?


What is the meaning of the prefix codes on the nVision reports?

  • DPL - Departmental Profit & Loss in HTML format
  • DAT -  Department All Transactions; this is an Excel Workbook containing 6 reports
    • Profit & Loss
    • Revenue & Expense Transactions
    • Budget Transactions
    • Student Financials Detail Transactions
    • Purchase Order Balances
    • Requisition Balance
  • DPR - Department Payroll; this is an Excel workbook containing 4 reports
    • Payroll Transaction Detail
    • Payroll by Employee and Date
    • Payroll by Account and Employee
    • Payroll by Employee and Month
  • F - Fund Balance for non-state support department or grant
  • P - Project/Grant Profit & Loss


2. Help with Procurement, Purchasing, and ProCard Transactions:


What are the year-end purchasing and purchase order guidelines?

  • The university's procurement office sets a series of deadlines based on dollar value.
    • The deadline for purchases over $100,000 will be early April
    • The deadline for purchases $25,000 - $100,000 will be late April
    • The deadline for purchases $5,000 - $25,000 will be in May
    • The deadline for purchases under $5,000 will be early June
  • Refer to Open Commitment Status for details on Requisitions, Purchase Order Invoices, and what you should know about monitoring your purchase orders.
  • Refer to Obligations for information on how to pay for certain purchase orders with last year's budget.


I missed the ProCard System reallocation deadline. What do I do now?

  • It is very important to the university's budgeting system that all transactions be in the correct category.  Therefore, there are other methods available to you.  You can use the Spreadsheet Upload process; or if you have a limited number of reallocations, contact the PSTeam for assistance at ProCard@towson.edu

I need to reallocate my procurement card transaction to a speedtype that is not in my list of speedtypes.  What do I do?

  • The security setup in the ProCard System allows transactions to be reallocated only between your own department numbers or grants.  If one of your numbers is not showing in your list, contact ProCard@towson.edu and the number will be added for you.
  • For any amounts to be charged to another division/department/area, standard methods of transfer are still available. For example:
    • Use the Interdepartmental Request process
    • Use the Spreadsheet Upload process
    • Contact the PSTeam, who may be able to move it for you with approval from the other area.


3. Help With Payroll & Student Hiring:


How do I get a copy of my Pay Stubs and/or my W2 form?

  • You can access your payroll information through the State by setting up an online account on POSC (Payroll Online Service Center). Click on the sign up option.  You will need the TU Agency number and your most recent pay/advice number to validate your identity.  If you need those numbers, call our help desk at 410-704-5599 or e-mail finservhelp@towson.edu.

Have you previously signed up to view your pay stubs on-line at the Payroll Online Service Center (POSC) but have forgotten your logon ID or Password?

  • Recovering your logon ID and resetting your password is a two part process. Utilize the Instructions for "Recover Login" and "Reset Forgotten Password" features on the POSC site.
  • If unsuccessful, call the POSC Help Line at 410-260-7401 or 410-260-7402 for assistance.

Can student employees get Federal Work Study Money for summer sessions?

  • Yes. Students must apply for Federal Work Study money through the Financial Aid Office and accept the award once offered. The Federal Work Study award begins at the onset of the new fiscal year (July 1) and ends on 6/30 if the award has been accepted and a 311T Form  'Special Payments Payroll Authorization' (Pink Federal Work Study Form) has been submitted to the Payroll Office to set up FWS funding.


  • If a current student is scheduled to graduate in May and they are currently receiving Federal Work Study monies, Federal Work Study ceases the moment they graduate.  They can work through the summer as a student employee but earnings after graduation will be charged to the department budget code.
  • If a student worker is not taking 6 credits in the Summer, TU must pay the FICA subsidy match and the unemployment (about 8% of earnings). Since FWS funds cannot be used to fund these charges, they will be allocated to the Hiring Department's budget.

When hiring a student under Federal Work Study, how do I look up or determine what charge code to insert on the 311t form?

  • The Federal Work Study charge codes are assigned by Division.  See a list of Divisions and the associated codes at: Federal Work Study Coding


Where can I find the Adjunct Faculty Pay Dates for the current semester?

  • Go to the Payroll Office web page, click on the current semester calendar, and view the Contingent Faculty schedule.


Where can I find information on the Student Clearance Process for Payroll?


What forms of ID are needed for the I9 process? Are original documents required?

  • Documents MUST be original, no exceptions. For definitive information on Forms and employment eligibility verification, go to: http:www.uscis.gov/i-9





University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now