1. When Hiring a New Employee:
- You as the Hiring Department must send the new employee to the Office of Human Resources (OHR) to complete the Federal Government's Immigration & Naturalization Services Form I-9.
- It is a federal mandate that each new employee provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. prior to start of employment.
- If hiring a student employee, complete the 311T form, (Special Payments Payroll Authorization) for Payroll Office and refer to Student Financial Services for more information.
2. OHR: Verification of Employment & Eligibility - I-9 Process:
- Instructions for the I-9 Process and a list of acceptable identification documents can be found on the official web site of Homeland Security [http://www.uscis.gov/i-9] or obtain this information from OHR.
- Report to OHR during scheduled hours with original documents (copies are not acceptable). OHR will process the I-9 forms, establish eligibility and instruct you further on the employment process. Any subsequent change in immigration status or work authorization must be communicated to OHR prior to the expiration date of the document(s).
3. If Hiring a Student Employee:
- Bring the completed 311T Form and Tax Residency Status Form (received from OHR) to the Payroll Office counter on the 4th floor of the Administration Building and ask for Student Financial Services.
- Please refer to Student Financial Services to see more information on student employment including PDF documents detailing the student employee checklist and student payroll pointers.