The following information is provided to assist employees with requesting reimbursements for personal vehicle mileage and rental car expenses. If you need further assistance, please contact the Business Travel Office at Travel@Towson.edu
- Personal Vehicle Usage & Mileage Rates
- Monthly Mileage Reimbursement Directions & Standard Mileage Log
- Vehicle Mileage Calculator/Maps/Directions
- Reimbursable Mileage Calculator
- University Vehicles
- Rental Cars
1. Personal Vehicle Usage & Mileage Rates: Properly insured personal vehicles may be used for travel on University business. The use of a personal vehicle will be reimbursed in accordance with the current officially approved rate. The chart below details mileage rates along with effective dates.
|January 01, 2015|
|January 01, 2014|
2. Monthly Mileage Reimbursement Directions & Standard Mileage Log:
|How to Submit a Monthly Mileage Reimbursement Log|
The Standard Mileage Log is a customized attachment for use by faculty and staff members who keep mileage journals by month or semester. The log is not part of the Tiger Travel software directly, but rather, a separate form to be attached within a Tiger Travel expense reimbursement request. Individuals who request mileage reimbursement for a day or overnight trip do not need to submit a separate Standard Mileage Log. They may use the Tiger Travel Personal Vehicle mileage grid as designed.
3. Vehicle Mileage Calculator, Driving Directions, Maps: Documentation using a mapping device is required to be attached for each reimbursement request. It is only necessary to provide a screen shot of the total mileage page/results. The pages detailing step by step driving directions are not needed in the attachment requirement. Employees may obtain driving distance information from:
4. Reimbursable Mileage Calculation:
An employee's daily commute miles from home to their regular work location are not reimbursable per State Regulations. Therefore, commute miles must be deducted from the total miles claimed for each trip with the following exceptions:
- The trip starts and ends at the regular work location.
- The trip starts or ends on a non-duty day.
- Example of Mileage Calculation
Services manages the rental of vehicles to employees and student groups traveling on official University business. A University vehicle may be rented for university business
only. For travel involving an approved travel authorization form, employees must attach a receipt copy of their final fleet services arrangement to their expense form. For more information on requesting a University vehicle, please refer to:
6. Rental Cars: Several options are available for employees to arrange for rental car services for University business travel. Employees may request rental cars through Fleet Services, travel agencies, a University preferred vendor, or directly from rental car vendors of their choice. The following guidelines should be adhered to when requesting rental car services:
- Lease the least expensive most reasonable vehicle that will accommodate the trip's requirements.
- If a larger vehicle is selected, but not needed for trip requirements, the employee must attach a quote for the least expensive, most reasonable arrangement available. Employees may only be reimbursed up to the least expensive, reasonable option quoted.
- The University System of Maryland has a rental car contract with Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Travelers are encouraged to take advantage of these corporate discounts whenever possible.
7. Insurance: Employees who drive state vehicles, rented vehicles or their privately owned vehicle for state business may want to refer to the Department of Environmental Health & Safety's (EHS) Web site for Insurance Information regarding collision damage coverage, personal liability and other insurance considerations.
- Car Rental Coverage Collision Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) is only reimbursable for car rentals outside the United States; or when a non-employee is renting a car on university business. Maryland is self-insured; therefore, CDW/LDW is not reimbursable for employees renting cars in the United States.
Financial Services Fax Numbers
Financial Services HelpLine: 410-704-5599