About TU


Reimbursable Mileage Expenses

Information on Insurance, Personal Vehicles, University Vehicles, and Rental Cars

Insurance: Employees who drive state vehicles, rented vehicles or their privately owned vehicle for state business may want to refer to the Department of Environmental Health & Safety's (EHS) Web site for Insurance Information for information regarding collision damage coverage, personal liability and other insurance considerations.

Personal Vehicles: Properly insured personal vehicles may be used for travel on university business. The use of a personal vehicle will be reimbursed in accordance with the current officially approved rate. The chart below details mileage rates along with effective dates. If you have any questions, please call our help line at 410-704-5599.

  • Mileage is measured from the employee's home to the destination and return. Or, from the university to the destination and return, whichever is less.
  • In addition to mileage, the traveler may be reimbursed for parking and tolls. Nominal expenses up to $3.00 will be reimbursed without receipt. (Examples are parking meters and coin basket road tolls.
Mileage Allowance
Effective Dates
57.5 cents per mile January 01, 2015
56.0 cents per mile January 01, 2014
56.5 cents per mile January 01, 2013
55.5 cents per mile July 01, 2011
51.0 cents per mile January 01, 2011
50.0 cents per mile January 01, 2010
55.0 cents per mile January 01, 2009

Obtain driving directions and calculate driving distances from:

www.mapquest.com or www.mapblast.com

University Vehicles: Transportation Services has a fleet of vehicles available to employees on a first-come first-served basis. A vehicle may be rented for university business only.

  • Reserve a vehicle by completing a Transportation Request Form.
    Contact (410) 704-2493 to obtain form. Return completed form to Transportation Services.
  • Each vehicle comes with gasoline credit cards, roadside assistance card, and a State of Maryland toll booklet.
  • Rental charges for university vehicles are charged directly to the traveler's department budget by Transportation Services, therefore mileage or gasoline expenses should not be claimed on the Travel Expense Voucher.

Rental Cars:  May be obtained directly from rental car vendors or through travel agencies.

  • Lease the least expensive vehicle that will accommodate the trip's requirement.
  • Car Rental Coverage Collision Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) is only reimbursable for car rentals outside the United States; or when a non-employee is renting a car on university business. Maryland is self-insured; therefore, CDW/LDW is not reimbursable for employees renting cars in the United States.
  • Reimbursement for rental cars obtained by the traveler directly from a rental car company (not through Transportation Services or paid by invoice) should be claimed on the Travel Expense Voucher.

The university has a contract with Budget-Rent-A-Car. Travelers are encouraged to take advantage of the corporate discount by renting a Budget-Rent-A-Car through Transportation Services. 

  • Costs of rental cars arranged through Transportation Services are charged directly to the traveler's department budget by Transportation Services and should not be included on the Travel Expense Voucher.

Financial Services Fax Numbers

Financial Services HelpLine: 410-704-5599

Email: finservehelp@towson.edu





University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now