Towson University travelers are required to submit a properly approved Travel Authorization Form prior to departure.
- Authorization Form is required for all travel involving over night stays.
- File the form 20 days before departure.
- A separate form is required for each traveler.
- Authorization Form must be on file
before travel expenses can be paid by the university or reimbursed
to the traveler.
- A copy will be returned to the traveler once the form has all required signatures and has been approved by Financial Services.
- It is not necessary to submit a copy of this form with the Travel Expense Voucher.
- Forms Directory
How to Complete the Travel Authorization Form:
- Detailed instructions for completing the Travel Authorization Form are available along with the form on the Forms Directory. If you need assistance, call the Financial Services Help Line, 410-704-5599.
- Carefully estimate the cost of the trip. Should actual expenses exceed the estimated cost as approved on the form, an addendum form will be required.
- The estimated cost of the trip should only include costs that are to be paid by the university.
- Attach a copy of an agenda, brochure, or other supporting documentation for the trip.
- Forms Directory
- Authorized Budget Signature
- This signature documents approval of the nature and cost
of the trip.
- An Authorized Budget Signature is an employee (usually the department head, dean or budget officer) who has an Authorized Signature Form on file permitting them to sign financial documents charged to their department.
- If the authorized budget signature is the traveler, their supervisor must sign this form.
- Authorizer of multiple sources of funds - if the cost of the trip is to be charged to more than one department, each department's Authorized Budget Signature must sign the form.
- Fiscal Planning & Services - this signature (budget office) certifies travel fund availability and is only required if the total cost of the trip exceeds $1,000.00.
- Financial Services - this signature certifies supporting documentation is attached and appropriate signatures of approval are present
Exception - Required Signatures for Grants and Contracts:
- If a Grant or Contract from the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research is funding the travel, the Post Award Office signs instead of Fiscal Planning & Services - this is required regardless of the trip cost. Contact the Post Award Office at 410-704-4095