The following information presents five different options that can be used to pay for business travel expenses. If you need assistance, contact the Travel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VISA Procurement Card - limited
- Invoice from Vendor
- Business Travel Card Program
- Personal Funds Use
- Advance from Business Travel Office
During a typical business trip, a traveler may use multiple payment options.
While the University's Business Travel Card is the preferred method for payment of travel expenses, the VISA Procurement Card can be used to pay for registration fees. The VISA Card cannot be used to pay for other travel expenses such as Airlines, Hotels, or Restaurants. These vendor categories are blocked and the transaction will be rejected.
- The University pays VISA Procurement Card expenses directly. Therefore when requesting reimbursement, do not include registrations paid by the VISA Procurement Card.
Some vendors will agree to invoice the university for travel related expenses such as registration and/or training fees, lodging, or transportation expenses.
- Invoices should be coded, signed, and forwarded to Accounts Payable for processing.
- When requesting reimbursement, do not include expenses paid by invoice.
- The University offers a travel credit card through BMO Financial Group's Diners Club Mastercard to all Towson University faculty and staff business travelers. This optional program offers a means for simplifying travel record keeping and paying most travel costs.
of the Business Travel Card Program include:
- Individual Card: An individual credit card issued in the employee's name and billed to the employee's address.
- Strip Billing: Airfare, Train fare, and baggage fees charged to the card will be "strip-billed" directly to the university and charged to the cardholder's designated department. Only a "memo item" reference to the charge will appear on the cardholder's statement.
- Extra thirty (30) days to pay: The cardholder is personally liable for payment and has an additional time period to make payment of current charges, up to thirty (30) days from the due date printed on the statement the charges first occurred.
- Insurance: Comprehensive travel insurance that includes up to $500K of travel accident insurance, Rental Car Collision and Loss Damage, and Excess, Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance
To obtain an application form for the Diners Club MasterCard, contact the Business Travel Office at email@example.com.
Travelers are encouraged to use personal funds to pay for nominal travel costs associated with day trips. Employees are reimbursed for travel expenses after the trip is completed and a request for reimbursement is received by the Business Travel Office. Traveler will be reimbursed in one of the following ways:
- Travel expense reimbursements of
$100 or less (Petty Cash) are reviewed
and then paid in cash or by check.
- Pick up at the Payroll Office Service Window in the Administration Building, 4th floor. Or,
- Pick up at the Bursar's Office Payment and Rebate Check Disbursement Center in the Enrollment Services Building, Room 336.
- Check mailed to employee's home address from State Treasurer's Office in Annapolis.
- Travel expense reimbursements over
$100 are reviewed and submitted for payment
to the Maryland State Comptroller's Office.
- If the traveler receives payroll funds by direct deposit, the expense reimbursement will be received through direct deposit. The process takes 2 - 3 weeks.
- Or, the reimbursement check will be printed and mailed to the employee's home address from the Maryland State Treasurer's Office in Annapolis, Maryland.
The university has very limited funds available to university travelers who request an advance before traveling. Advances are generally limited to money to pay for meals, ground transportation, tolls, parking, and other miscellaneous expenses. Information on requesting advances from the Business Travel Office can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travelers who obtain advances must complete the appropriate settlement with the Business Travel Office within five business days of return from their trip. Any overpayment to the traveler must be returned to the Business Travel Office in the form of cash or personal check made out to Towson University. (Checks returned for insufficient funds are subject to a $50.00 returned check fee.)
If you need assistance, contact email@example.com.
Business Travel Office Service Counter Hours:
Monday afternoons, 1 to 4 pm
Tuesday & Wednesday, full day, 8:30 am to 4 pm
Thursday & Friday mornings, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Petty Cash Service Counter Hours (Payroll Office):
Monday & Tuesday afternoons, 1pm to 4pm
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday mornings, 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
Note: Please wait to receive an email pick up notice before arriving at a petty cash counter.
Financial Services Fax Numbers
Financial Services HelpLine: 410-704-5599