New Student Computer Accounts
A TU computing account entitles students to e-mail, Web pages, individual network file space and access to Towson Online Services.
Students should receive information on activating their account once enrollment is confirmed and tuition is paid. If you did not receive this information, please contact Student Computing Services.
The University Guidelines for Responsible Computing outline your responsibilities as a computer user at Towson University, examples of inappropriate behavior, how to report a violation and the consequences of violating these guidelines.
New Student Staff Accounts
A TU computing account entitles student employees to e-mail and shared calendaring, access to specific group Web areas and access to a limited area of departmental shared file storage space.
Student staff members may obtain a TowsonU computer account, along with an Exchange account, if necessary.
The student staff member will require a TowsonU account if they:
- need to log on to a Windows 2000 machine
- require access to files on the departmental O: drive
- would like to register for OTS Technology Training courses
The student staff member will also require an Exchange (Outlook) account if they:
- need access to Outlook e-mail and calendars
- need to be listed in the Global Address List
- need to be
added to any departmental distribution lists
(Please note that the student staff member must have a TowsonU account before they can receive the Exchange account. Also note that mail will begin going to the student's Exchange account rather than his/her Tiger account.)
To obtain a new student staff computer account:
The student staff member's supervisor should
send an e-mail to the OTS Help Center at
firstname.lastname@example.org, which contains:
- the student's full name, current Tiger username and department of employment
- indication if the student needs access to a "student" subfolder on the department's O: drive
if the student
needs to use the Microsoft Exchange server
(Outlook), rather than their traditional
A request will be logged to set up the account.
When the account is ready, the information will
be passed along to the supervisor.
- When the student logs into a Windows 2000 machine for the first time, they will be required to change their password. If the student has access to the departmental share on the network (O:), they will have to connect to it manually. Manual connections are normally made by going to the Start menu, then Run, and typing the location of the student's folder on that departmental share (i.e.: \\gold\deptstudent$). This location will be passed along to the supervisor along with the rest of the account information.
If the student employee has received access to the Exchange server (Outlook), they can set up Outlook on any office Windows 2000 machine. The student or supervisor may contact the OTS Help Center at 410-704-5151 or email@example.com for any necessary assistance. From off-campus, students can access this mail from the Outlook Web Access site, available at http://outlook.towson.edu, or by Citrix. Information on Citrix is available by clicking below.
If a student staff member is leaving:
The student staff supervisor should send an e-mail to the OTS Help Center at firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
- that the employee has left the department
- the student's full name and username on the system (if known)
The Help Center will then disable the student staff computer account.