Towson University has been piloting an easy-to-use and flexible instructional recording package (lecture capture) called Panopto to a select group of faculty. Beginning in Fall 2014, Panopto will be available to all faculty. This technology can help faculty connect and engage with students online and outside of the classroom.
Panopto allows faculty to:
- Video record a lecture
- Video record messages to students
- Deliver video and audio presentations using PowerPoint
- Record the computer screen, and
- Allow students to record presentations
Most importantly, this can all be done from any computer, (Mac or PC) or from a mobile device. All that is needed is the software, a webcam, a microphone and a quiet space to deliver content.
Panopto integrates closely with Blackboard to allow for single sign on and automatic permission assignment.
Faculty and staff can log into the service using their Net ID, record videos for courses that they are an instructor of, and automatically limit viewing access to only students registered for that course.
How do I start?
You can get up and running with your first recording in just three steps:
- Provision (prepare and equip) your Blackboard Course to allow Panopto to integrate with your online courses. Please see instructions here.
- Download the Panopto Software and begin recording. Please see instructions here.
- Add your completed recording as a content area in your course. Please see instructions here.
OTS Training is pleased to present the following Training Resources to help you become acquainted with Panopto:
- Comprehensive training in a blended learning format (self-help document, videos and assessment) through Blackboard available here. (Log-in and select Panopto from the Community list).
- A list of self-help documents designed to walk you through the process of provisioning your course, downloading the software, making a recording and adding the recording to your course are available here.
- A list of available face-to-face workshops are available here. (Select Panopto from the list of available topics).
Support and troubleshooting is available to you through a variety of
Log your own support ticket with Panopto by clicking here
Email Panopto at email@example.com
Call Panopto Support at 855-765-2341 24 hours a day
View the Panopto Knowledge base:support.panopto.com
Additionally, Service Requests can be created though TechHelp for questions or issues related specifically to Towson University's implementation of Panopto: techhelp.towson.edu
- Closed Captioning - if you need your Panopto video closed captioning for DSS reasons, please contact DSS directly at 410-704-2638. If this is a public video complete the request form found at http://fusion.towson.edu/Intranet/LDAPSecurity/loginPS.cfm
Please note - if you intend to use Panopto in a live classroom setting, consent of your students is legally required. Click on Release Forms & Instructions in the left navigation for more information and to download the required form.
Digital Media Classroom: At the conclusion of the Fall 2013 semester the DMC (CK 404B) classroom was decommissioned for necessary repurposing and updates. Please note that this change will not impact your existing Mediasite recordings. Mediasite, the lecture capture solution used within the DMC is still supported and available in select locations across campus. For questions regarding your existing Mediasite recordings please contact Brian Cooney firstname.lastname@example.org.