SAS and SPSS statistical software licensing is available for university-owned computers.
- SPSS is distributed to all faculty and staff computers over the network. Faculty and staff can install the software on their university office computers on-demand. Classroom and computer lab installations are managed by college and department staff.
- SAS licensing is provided at a discounted price through the university for Windows only.
For SAS software scroll to the SAS section at the end of this page.
- Computers must be university-owned Mac or Windows computers
- Computer is running Casper Self Service for Macs) or Software Center (PDF) for Windows
- SPSS must be plugged into the wired university network to run
- Laptops and tablets that are not plugged into the network must run the SPSS Commuter License
SPSS licensing is provided by the university at no charge to all Mac and Windows computers on campus and is available on Virtual Workspace.
The license of the oldest version of SPSS software expires each year on July 31. SPSS will not run when the license expires.
The university license includes the following SPSS modules: Base, Regression, Advanced, Categories, Conjoint, Tables, and Trends. More information about SPSS is available at
Laptop computers can use the Commuter License option to access SPSS when not plugged into the Towson network, see the Commuter License for Laptops section below.
How can I access SPSS?
- SPSS is installed on Virtual Workspace and available to students, faculty, and staff.
- SPSS is automatically distributed to faculty and staff office computers and is available to install on-demand, see the SPSS Installation Procedures section below.
Commuter License for Laptops
SPSS Installation Procedures
Select the approrite installtion procedures below.
SPSS Commuter License for Laptops
To run SPSS on a laptop that is not plugged into the campus network (at home, traveling, etc.), you will need to use the SPSS Commuter License below.
To install an SPSS Commuter License, see Installing SPSS Commuter License on Laptops (PDF)
SPSS Commuter License Renewal
The SPSS Commuter License requires that the license be renewed every 30 days or SPSS will cease to run. A laptop computer must connect to the university network in order to validate the license on a server.
To connect to the university network to renew the commuter license there are two options below.
- On-campus: plug the laptop into the wired network and follow the instructions on the SPSS web site to renew the SPSS commuter license (PDF) at
<insert internal link to the commuter license PDF file>
- Off-campus: run the Virtual Private Network (VPN) to securely access the university network and renew the SPSS license, select the approriate VPN below.
SPSS License Upgrade Cycle
The SPSS licenses policy permits two consecutive SPSS versions to run on the campus at one time, e.g. version 21 and 22. IBM generally releases a new version of SPSS yearly in October. OTS will make available the latest version each year for faculty, staff and lab managers to install if they chose. Generally, faculty and staff run the same version that is installed on Virtual Workspace.
On Virtual Worspace SPSS is updated on a two year cycle. Every other year (2015, 2017, etc.) at the conclusion of spring semester, SPSS is upgraded to the latest version. For example: at the conclusion of spring semester, SPSS version 21 will be replaced by version 23 on Virtual Workspace. Two years later, SPSS version 23 will be replaced by version 25. This cycle repeats every two years.
How can I access SPSS at home?
SPSS is available on Virtual Workspace, enabling you to use SPSS anywhere and anytime on the web.
The university version of SPSS cannot be installed on home computers due to the licensing requirements. If you want to install SPSS on your personal computer you can contact IBM SPSS Inc. to purchase it.
How do I obtain assistance with the SPSS application?
SPSS provides assistance for applications on their web site below. Browse to the SPSS Student Resource Center; this site has free video tutorials, suggested books, and links to a iTunesU statistics courses at SPSS
What is SAS?
SAS is a scalable, integrated software environment that is specially designed for data access, transformation, and reporting. License cost: $75.
How is SAS Installed?
If you would like to have the SAS installed, please contact the Faculty/Staff Help Center at 410-704-5151 and follow menu options or fill out a web support request form.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Names of the individuals who will be using the software
- Quantity of licenses
- Budget code to which the license(s) for that year should be charged
- The computer name of each machine requiring an SAS installation
- Location of each computer
- Operating system on each computer (e.g., Windows XP or Windows Vista)
Your request will be logged and a budget transfer will be initiated and the software will be installed.
If you have questions about SPSS or SAS fill out a web support request form with your question.