Illustration is a screened concentration. The prerequisites and procedures for screening are listed below. Please contact Christopher Bartlett, the Illustration area coordinator, with any questions via e-mail, email@example.com.
1. A minimum GPA of 2.67 in ART and ARTH courses in the major.
2. At least 39 units completed in the major (ART and ARTH coursework) to include, but not be limited to the following courses:
ART 101, 103, 104, 211, 212, and ARTH 221, 222 OR the foundations courses required under your original catalog.
ART 217, 229 or equivalent transferred courses.
3. Illustration application requirements include a portfolio consisting of 8-12 original works completed in the courses included in your requirements, and an unofficial transcript.
4. Screening will take place twice a year: in the week preceding spring semester (for those who reach 39 units in the major at the end of the fall semester), and in the week following the spring semester (for those who reach 39 units in the major at the close of the spring semester).
5. An Illustration screening application form will be sent out by email several weeks before screening. The unofficial transcript will be submitted with the application form. The portfolio can be submitted on data CD or DVD with image files and/or PDF format. Make sure to label files appropriately and with relevant information. All the application requirements must be dropped off at the front desk in the Arts office.
6. A faculty committee will score portfolios on design, technique, concept, and originality. You will be notified of the committee's decision by email to your Towson account within a week after Illustration screening selection committee meeting.
Note: If accepted into the BFA, your catalog will automatically be changed to the 2010-11 catalog, which is the first catalog to offer the BFA option. There is no need to change your catalog in advance of applying, even if you will not apply until next year, UNLESS you will not be enrolled at Towson continuously from 2010-11 to the time that you apply to the BFA (in that case you should change catalogs now -- email for instructions). If you have a second major, or a minor, please check with your advisor in that department to see how changing to the 2010-11 catalog will affect those requirements (you must meet all requirements of a single catalog -- you can't choose one major's requirements from one catalog, and another major's requirements from another catalog).
Department of Art + Design, Art History, Art Education
Center for the Arts, Room 3103 (map)
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.