Requirements for the Concentration (33-45 units)
1. Twelve units of a foreign language appropriate to the student’s designated area of interest in Asia. The advisory committee may waive the language requirement for native speakers of Japanese, Chinese or another language related to the student's course of study. In this case, students must earn a total of 45 units instead of the 33 detailed below.
2. A minimum of 33 units selected from the list of Departmental Courses, but with courses from at least three departments (in addition to language) represented. Other courses not shown on the list, but which are relevant to Asia (such as directed readings courses and Minimester courses), may be accepted with the approval of the advisory committee. Excluding language courses, no more than four courses below the 300 level may be taken for credit in this program.
3. All courses must be completed with a grade equivalent of 2.00 or higher.
4. Students may transfer up to 21 credits toward the completion of the major.
5. Language courses above the 202 level may be counted toward the 33-unit elective requirements. Students taking a second Asian language may petition to have those credits included in the 33-unit elective requirement. Normally, however, students are expected to concentrate on one Asian language.
Minor in Asian Studies:
There is no language requirement for the Asian Studies minor, however, students are encouraged to begin the study of an Asian language. One 3-unit, 100-level language course may be applied toward lower-division course units.
*Students should consult the Course descriptions section of the catalog to verify prerequisites and should try to select prerequisite courses that fulfill GenED requirements.