The program admits students for the fall and spring terms only. Priority will be given to students whose applications and transcripts have been received by February 1 for fall admission and November 1 for spring admission. Students who miss the priority deadline may contact the program director via email to inquire if space is still available for the forthcoming term. Master of Music candidates seeking admission in Fall Semester must audition for admission on the scheduled audition dates in January, February, or March. Master of Music candidates seeking admission in Spring Semester must audition on the scheduled audition date in January.
- A Bachelor of Music degree in music with a major in the area of proposed graduate study or its equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university*.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.00 for full admission or 2.75 for conditional admission. All GPA calculations for admission are based upon the last 60 units of undergraduate and post-baccalaureate study.
- Students completing the University of Maryland Baltimore County's certificate in Contemporary American Music program may apply under a collaborative agreement.
- Acceptable performance on an audition on applicant’s major instrument for Music Performance Concentration or acceptable portfolio and interview for Music Composition Concentration. Please see the Admissions Auditions Handbook for complete details.
- Towson University's Graduate School Application.
- Submit two letters of recommendation by two persons familiar with the applicant's scholarly and music performance aptitudes. (Email addresses of recommenders must be entered on application).
- For international students whose native language is not English, English competency must be certified by the achievement of a minimum of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
Non-immigrant international students: See additional admission information in Graduate Admissions.
*See Exceptions to Policy in Graduate Admissions.