International Programs

Making Payments to Foreign Nationals

F-1 and J-1 Student Workers

Dependent Compensation

  1. International students who work on campus follow the normal hiring process.
  2. Refer to the procedures in the Student Employment Handbook for faculty/staff.
  3. Provide your student worker with a copy of the Student Employee Orientation Checklist to guide him/her through the process. It will also serve as evidence for you that the student has properly completed each required step.
  4. Payroll payments are subject to graduated withholding plus an additional $15.30 per bi-weekly payroll cycle.

Other Miscellaneous Non-Payroll Payments

Departments process a variety of non-payroll payments to students using the Miscellaneous Expense Voucher. Some examples include paying/reimbursing travel on behalf of students, paying for one-time services such as judging a debate contest, or providing a stipend for research. Some payments qualify for treatment as a non-service scholarship/fellowship and are taxed at 14%; others must be treated as independent compensation and taxed at 30%. Therefore, it is very important to provide detail and supporting documentation about the purpose of the payment. Processing will be delayed for payment requests submitted without sufficient backup documentation.

In general, it is inappropriate to create adhoc contracts for students to sign. If you do create a special-purpose contract, it must be reviewed and approved by the Legal Department prior to usage.




University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now