All Honors College students must complete a total of 24 units of Honors College courses from the following categories. A single honors course may only fulfill one honors requirement at a time. (For example, ENGL 290 cannot count towards both the Honors English and the Honors seminar requirements at the same time; however, students may take ENGL 290 twice to fulfill both options, as long as the course has a different topic each time.)
Honors English (3 units)
This requirement may be fulfilled by completing either ENGL 190: Honors Writing Seminar or ENGL 290: Honors Seminar in Literature.
Honors College seminars (minimum 9 units)
Honors College seminars are specialized courses with topics that vary each semester. Some
seminars may fulfill Core Curriculum requirements and/or major requirements. All courses that
satisfy the seminar requirement are indicated each semester on the Honors course schedule
posted on the Honors College website. Students who fulfill their Honors English requirement may
take ENGL 290 towards seminar requirements, as long as the student does not repeat ENGL 290
with the same topic (maximum 3 units).
Most students take Honors versions of courses (i.e., Honors Introduction to Psychology, Honors
Acting, etc.) to fulfill this requirement, but any honors course that does not already satisfy other
Honors College requirements may be used to fulfill this requirement.
Each student must complete an additional 6 Honors units toward Honors College course
requirements in the following Honors course options: Departmental Honors; Honors Independent
Study; Honors Independent Investigations; Honors Directed Readings; Honors Internship; Honors
credit for Study Abroad; Upper-level Honors College Seminars; Honors Capstone; Honors Thesis.
All Honors College students are required to:
• Successfully complete 6 Honors units per year until the minimum requirement of 24 Honors units has been reached.
• Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 3.30 and a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in courses taken for Honors credit.
• Complete all Honors courses with a grade (no Pass Grading Option).
Students joining the Honors College after their first year of undergraduate study may be exempt from some requirements.
• Students who have completed 30-59 credits by the time they join the Honors College are exempt from Honors English (only if GenEd I. A. or Core Curriculum category 2 has been satisfied with transfer credits). These students must complete 15 units of Honors courses (9 units must be Honors seminars) and 6 units of Honors Electives.
• Students who have completed 60 or more credits by the time they join the Honors College are exempt from Honors English (only if GenEd I. A. or Core Curriculum category 2 has been satisfied with transfer credits) and 6 units of Honors courses. These students must complete 9 units of Honors seminars and 6 units of Honors Electives.
Please consult the Towson University Undergraduate Catalog for a complete overview of the Honors College.