Prettyman Hall is composed predominately of double rooms with a few three-person capacity rooms arranged along a corridor. Rooms are equipped with beds, mirrors, dressers, desks, carpeting, chairs and venetian blinds. Each floor has community bathrooms on the corridor, as well as a kitchen/study area. Public areas include a large lobby, various study and music rooms and a recreation room. This building accommodates 160 students.
Who Are Our Residence Halls Named After?
Elijah Barrett Prettyman
E. Barrett Prettyman was born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, on February 20, 1830. After graduating from Dickinson College, he began his teaching career at West River in Anne Arundel County. Prettyman then went on to become the Principal of the Brookeville Academy where he remained for eleven years. In 1890 he was appointed as the State Superintendent of Public Instruction and Principal of the Maryland State Normal School. In 1894, Prettyman was awarded an honorary Doctor’s degree by his Alma Mater.
While he was principal, the Normal School extended its course of study to three years. Until 1896 he served simultaneously as State Superintendent of Schools and played a role in raising teacher standards. He also respected the initiative and individuality of his teachers and did not interfere with their respective principles of teaching. Dr. Prettyman enlarged the buildings of the Normal School and increased the offerings in the subjects of vocal music and manual training.
In 1905, Dr. Prettyman handed over his duties as administrator of the State Normal School to Dr. George Ward. Dr. Prettyman died at his home in Rockville, Maryland during December of 1907.
To learn more about the biographies of TU Presidents and the chronology of Towson University, please visit the university archives at Albert S. Cook Library: