Funds may be used for supplies, books, software, equipment, fees, etc. as appropriate to the project. If requesting funds for books and/or journals, please first check the Cook Library for availability. If the project involves travel to and from a research site, the funds may be used to support such travel. The funds may be used to support travel to workshops and festivals if this attendance is directly related to the main question or outcome of the project.
Note that any equipment purchased with the grant funds will remain the property of Towson University.
The award money will not cover fees for private lessons or classes, unless they are shown to be an essential component in answering a research question. Any such expense will require extensive justification. Travel and other expenses that are not central to the research problem will not be covered. Expenses associated with routine classwork typically will not be covered.
1. The proposal demonstrates that each member of the group is responsible for one unique facet of a larger multi-dimensional research project.
2. The proposal clearly demonstrates that each member of the group will contribute equally to the project.
If the Proposal Is Approved
• Grant funds will be transferred to the mentor’s home department shortly after a decision is made. The students should follow the established university procedures to spend the money.
• All students are expected to carry out the proposed project in collaboration with their faculty mentor within the time frame indicated.
• All students who receive the small project award must submit their work for presentation at the Annual Towson University Student Research and Scholarship Expo in the Spring and present that work if their abstract is accepted.
• Students must complete their final reports the week prior to the start of final exams. This one page written summary describing the results of the project may include photos and other media. This documentation must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. This requirement may also be satisfied by submitting an electronic version of the presentation that will be disseminated at the annual Student Research and Scholarship Expo.