Funds may be used for supplies, books, software, equipment, fees, etc. as appropriate to the project. If requesting funds for books and/or journals, please first check the Cook Library for availability. If the project involves travel to and from a research site, the funds may be used to support such travel. The funds may also be used to support travel to workshops and festivals if this attendance is directly related to the main question or outcome of the project.
Note that any equipment purchased with the grant funds will remain the property of Towson University.
Research grant money will not cover fees for private lessons or classes, unless they are shown to be an essential component in answering a research question. Any such expense will require extensive justification. Travel and other expenses that are not central to the research problem will not be covered. Expenses associated with routine classwork typically will not be covered.
If the Proposal Is Approved
• Grant funds will be transferred to the mentor’s home department shortly after a decision is made. The students should follow the established university procedures to spend the money.
• All students are expected to carry out the proposed project in collaboration with their faculty mentor within the time frame indicated.
• For approved travel expenses, students will need to spend their own money during the travel, and then apply for reimbursement. For out-of-state travel and for in-state travel that involves overnight stays, there are two forms that have to be filled out: the Travel Authorization Form (it needs to be filed 20 days before the trip, a separate form is needed for each traveler) and the Travel Expense Voucher (that should be filed no later than 5 days after the trip). See the Forms Directory. For in-state day trips, only the Travel Expense Voucher is needed. The forms and instructions are available from Financial Services.
• For supplies and specialized materials, your faculty mentor or department should purchase the items via procurement card (this is the method that involves the least amount of paperwork, for the student).
• If a personal credit card is used for purchases other than travel, reimbursement will be done via a Miscellaneous Expense Voucher. You will need the original receipts to submit with this form. The form and the instructions are located in the Forms Directory of Financial Services.
• Note that any equipment purchased with the grant funds will remain the property of Towson University.
• If your grant included approved funds for Human Participants in Research, please contact the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research for personalized instructions. If you have expenses that do not fall into any of these categories, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Research.
• All students who receive research grants must submit their work for presentation at the Annual Towson University Student Research and Scholarship Expo in the Spring and present that work if their abstract is accepted.
• Students must complete their final reports the week prior to the start of final exams. This one page written summary describing the results of the project may include photos and other media. This documentation must be submitted to UndergradResearch@towson.edu. This requirement may also be satisfied by submitting an electronic version of the presentation that will be disseminated at the annual Student Research and Scholarship Expo.