Do I need to File a 2012 Tax Return?
No - If you earned less than $3,800 and no federal taxes (Box 2 is blank on W2 form) were withheld!
Yes - If you:
- Earned less than $3,800 BUT federal taxes were withheld (there is an amount in Box 2 on W2 form);
- Earned more than $3,800 in 2012.
Do I need to File Form 8843?
- If you are in F1/F2 or J1/J2 Student status and have been in the US for five years or less, then you should complete and mail Form 8843 by June 15, 2013.
Will I Receive a 1042-S?
- You can determine if you need to wait for a 1042-S to file your tax return by looking at your W2 Form. If there is no amount in Box 1 & 2 on the W2 - but there is an amount in either or both Box 16 & 17 - this means a 1042-S will be sent to you by mid-March.
- This typically applies to payments for taxable non-qualified scholarships (Athletics, Graduate Student Travel Award).
- You need to have both a W2 and 1042-S to file your tax return - you do not file separate tax returns with each form.
Why Should I File a Tax Return?
It is each foreign national’s responsibility to file appropriate U.S.
federal and state tax forms each tax year.
Failure to file a federal tax return could jeopardize chances of
obtaining approval for future visa or residency status changes.
If you have not filed a tax return for prior years, you may still
do so. Include a letter explaining why you did not file.
For more information about federal tax filing obligations, see the
IRS website at: http://www.irs.gov.
- To help you file your federal tax return, the NRA Tax Office provides free of charge:
GLACIERTaxPrepTM – A tax filing system exclusively for nonresident
aliens. CINTAX generates all necessary tax filing forms for
who follow the easy step-by-step process.
- For more information about state tax filing, see the State of Maryland’s
Comptroller website: http://www.marylandtaxes.com.