Nonresident Alien Tax Office Towson University
Tax Filing - Recordkeeping Site MapSearch

Tax Records

You should keep any and all documents that may have an impact on your federal tax return. Your annual tax record file should contain the following:

  • All yearend tax statements.
  • One copy each of your federal and state tax returns.
  • One copy of Form 8843 Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With A Medical Condition.
  • Any correspondence with IRS or state tax authority.
  • Other receipts or documents you used to prepare your tax return.

Keep copies of your tax return and yearend tax statements in a safe place for at least 3 years. You may need them in the future for a tax audit or when applying for additional U.S. visas or changes in your immigration status. If you might apply for permanent residency or US citizenship, keep your tax records for 7 years.

For information on how to request a copy of your tax return from the IRS, click here.

Other Documents

Other tax-related and financial documents you should keep on file:

  • Monthly statements from financial institutions, including processed checks (cancelled or imaged).
  • Pay statements listing your gross employment income and deductions such as taxes withheld. Statement is either attached to your check or mailed if you have direct deposit.
  • Receipts or proof of payment from financial transactions such as:
    • Rent
    • Utility bills
    • Insurance
    • Telephone
    • Textbooks and school supplies (for those with a scholarship)
    • Credit card and other receipts
    • Invoices
  • Contracts – e. g., apartment lease; employment contract; bank, loan or credit card contract.

For complete information on recordkeeping, refer to IRS Publication 552 - Recordkeeping for Individuals at:


NRA Tax Office Home Page | Disclaimer

© 2007 Towson University