Social Security Number - SSN
- In order to be paid by Towson University, you must have a Social Security Number.
- The only way to obtain a SSN is if you have on-campus employment. Towson University does not issue Social Security Numbers; they are issued by a federal agency called the Social Security Administration.
Important to Note as of September 2012
- You must be in the US for at least 10 days before applying for a SSN and
- You must be registered in SEVIS by the ISSO before you can apply (which can't begin until 1st day of classes).
- In order to successfully apply for a Social Security Number, follow this process:
For more information on how to obtain a Social Security Number, see
the Social Security Administration website at: http://www.ssa.gov
or ISSO handout.
- Obtain a letter from your hiring supervisor stating that you
have on-campus employment. Use the
sample letter located on the ISSO website for this purpose.
- Take the completed letter signed by your supervisor to the International Student
and Scholar Office (ISSO) to certify your immigration
status and employment eligibility.
- Complete Form SS-5 Application for a Social Security Card.
- You must apply in person for a SSN at the local office; you should bring with you a completed SS-5 Form, the letter from the ISSO, your passport, I-94, and I-20.
- Request a receipt confirming your application and the date you
applied for a SSN.
- It typically takes 2 weeks to receive your SSN card in the mail.
- Once you have received your SSN, contact the NRA Tax Office to make an appointment in order to complete the hiring process.
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number - ITIN
- If a foreign national needs a taxpayer identification number and
is not eligible for a social security number, then he/she
should apply for
an ITIN. (e.g., a F-2 visa holder who is not authorized
to work, but may be claimed on a tax return).
- Dependents of foreign nationals who
are eligible to be claimed on a tax return must have
- To apply for an ITIN
when filing your tax return, follow the instructions provided in GLACIER TaxPrep.