Department of Secondary Education
College of Education
The Department of Secondary Education invites applications for Chairperson, at the rank of full professor. The position is located at the main campus, with leadership and management responsibilities for on- and off-campus undergraduate and post-baccalaureate certification programs and the M.Ed. in Secondary Education.
The Chairperson, who reports to the Dean of the College of Education, works collaboratively with faculty, manages the day-to-day operations of the department, promotes faculty professional development and scholarship, fosters appropriate change and program expansion, advocates for the academic mission, values, and needs of the department, college and university, and engages in outreach to external constituencies in the Baltimore metropolitan region and the State of Maryland.
Appointment is effective July 1, 2013. The Chairperson is appointed to a three-year term, subject to annual review and evaluation by the Dean in collaboration with department faculty. Salary and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Earned doctorate in education
• Minimum of three years of excellent public secondary school teaching experience
• A record of excellent undergraduate and graduate teaching experience
• Background in secondary/middle school teaching and learning
• Demonstrated record of scholarly productivity
• Experience mentoring junior faculty
• Administrative experience in a higher education setting
• Knowledge of and experience in professional development schools
• Knowledge of and experience with urban teacher education programs
• Knowledge of secondary/middle school certification programs
• Knowledge of graduate programs targeting secondary education and/or middle school education
• Knowledgeable about and experienced with the NCATE accreditation process
• Ability to foster an environment that encourages, values, and respects faculty scholarship
• Experience with mentoring and evaluating teacher candidates
• Knowledgeable about state and national issues in teacher education, especially as these relate to Common Core State Standards and The Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC)
• Skills in drawing upon and developing faculty expertise, problem-solving, developing program assessment, building inter- and intra-institutional collaborative relationships and securing resources external to the department and college
• Committed to and capable of working with programmatic modifications that foster better delivery of services to all stakeholders
• Experience with strategic budgeting and university budgeting practices
Department of Secondary Education:
The Department of Secondary Education includes twelve full-time faculty and over 250 students in initial and advanced certification programs.
Founded in 1866, today Towson University is recognized by U.S. News & World Report's as one of the top public universities in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions. Towson is nationally recognized for its programs in the liberal arts and sciences, business, education, communications, health sciences, and the fine and performing arts. The University places a strong emphasis on service learning and civic engagement through such activities as internships, practica, clinical placements, course assignments and student events. As the Baltimore area’s largest university and Maryland’s Metropolitan University, Towson articulates its research and scholarship mission through partnerships that link the University to the economic, educational and cultural life of the state of Maryland and the mid-Atlantic region. Towson enrolls more than 21,000 students and offers more than 100 bachelors, masters, and doctoral programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and applied professional fields. Located on a rolling 328 acres, the striking campus is eight miles north of downtown Baltimore and 45 miles from Washington, D.C. The campus and its surrounding cities provide an excellent environment for teaching and supporting the academic pursuits of the 830 full-time faculty who work here.
Interested applicants should send a letter of application describing their qualifications, a curriculum vitae, copies of graduate transcripts, two samples of published scholarship, and three letters of reference to:
Secondary Education Search Committee
c/o Dr. David E. Vocke
College of Education
8000 York Rd.
Towson, MD 21252
Review of credentials will begin 30 days after the ad appears and will continue
until the position is filled.
Upon submitting your Curriculum Vitae to indicate your interest in this position, please be sure to visit http://www.towson.edu/odeo/applicantdata.asp to complete a voluntary on-line applicant data form. The information you provide will inform the university’s affirmative action plan and is for statistical purposes only and shall not be used to illegally discriminate for or against anyone.
is an equal
has a strong