Banner Text

New Student Programs

Transfer FAQs

Q:   When do I register for my classes?

A:   You will attend the Transfer Program Part I where you will meet with an academic adviser and register for your classes.

Q:   Will there be classes still available? I checked the course availability online and there aren't any classes that I need or that will fit into my schedule.

A:   Each department understands that new students transfer into Towson each semester. During the Transfer Program Part I courses and seats that have not been previously viewable will be open solely to transferring students. Continuing Towson students will not have access to these openings. You may need to be flexible with your scheduling, but we can assure that you will get classes you need for your first semester.

Q:   What if I can't come to the Transfer Program?

A:   Please contact the New Student Programs.

Q:   Who is my academic adviser and when do we meet?

A:   During the Transfer Program you will meet with a trained adviser from your college.

You will be assigned your official academic adviser early in the spring semester. During the Transfer Program you will learn how to locate your adviser's name through your "Student Center" on your Towson Online account.

During the semester, you should plan to meet with your adviser to discuss any challenge that you experience, receive intentional advising and also to remove your hold in preparation for your spring semester course registration.

Q:   After I am admitted, what do you need to finalize my transfer evaluation?

A:   If you have received an Evaluation of Transfer Credits from the Transfer Evaluation Office, please note whether it says “Preliminary” or “Final” at the bottom right corner of your evaluation. If your evaluation says “Final”, then we do not need any additional transcripts to complete your evaluation. If your evaluation says “Preliminary”, we are still waiting on additional transcripts in order to finalize your evaluation. Once final grades are posted, you must request a transcript be sent from your original institution to Towson University’s Office of Admission. Please ensure that the Transfer Evaluation Office receives an official transcript with your final grades before the Transfer Program Part I.

Q:  Why aren’t all of my credits on my evaluation of transfer credits?

A:  Transfer Evaluation Services can only award transfer credit for college-level courses. Non-transferrable coursework includes developmental/remedial coursework, personal development coursework, college orientation, and technical/occupational courses.

If all of your courses are listed on your evaluation, but there is an “IP” instead of a grade, that means we are still waiting on final grades to be posted on your transcript. We can only award credit for completed courses. Once we receive the final grades for your courses, your credits will be updated accordingly.

Q:  What grades do you accept for transfer coursework?

A:   We will transfer in coursework with earned grades A, B, C and D. However, please be aware that any courses with a grade lower than a C- will not count towards fulfilling major requirements or the English Composition (I.A) and Advanced Composition (I.D) General Education Requirement.

Q:   Will you transfer in my Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and/or CLEP test credits?


  • If you are transferring from an in-state public institution with Advanced Placement (AP) credit posted on your transcript, Towson can post the credit on your transfer evaluation based on USM policy. If your AP credit is not posted on your transfer evaluation, please contact College Entrance Examination Board and request your scores be sent to Towson University’s Office of Admissions. Credit will then be awarded by an Admissions representative and added to your total credit count towards graduation.
  • Towson University recognizes that the International Baccalaureate (IB) program represents achievement beyond the standard American high school program and regularly awards advanced standing to students who successfully complete IB course work. However, these credits will not be posted on your evaluation of transfer credit. If you have earned an IB diploma or certificate, please send verification to Office of Admissions for college credit.
  • Any questions about receiving college credit for AP or IB completion should be addressed to Alexandra DeJohn, Assistant Director of Admissions, at
  • TU offers, and grants units for, the following computerized CLEP tests: College Mathematics (elective units), Natural Science (elective units), Social Science and History (elective units), and Humanities (GenEd credit). CLEP credit will only be posted on your evaluation of transfer credit only if it is posted on a Maryland public institution’s transcript. If your CLEP credit is not posted on your transfer evaluation, please have your scores sent to the Registrar’s Office. Credit will then be awarded and added to your total credit count toward graduation.

Q:   What is the maximum number of credits you will transfer in and what if I have earned more than that at my original institution?


  • If you attended a community college or other 2-year institution, we will transfer in a maximum of 64 credits.
  • If you attended a 4-year institution, we will transfer in a maximum of 90 credits.
  • If you attended both a 2-year and a 4-year institution, we will transfer in a maximum of 90 credits, but the first 64 credits transferred will be from the 2-year institution.
  • If you have earned over 64 credits from a 2-year institution or over 90 credits from a 4-year institution, the evaluators will first transfer courses that will fulfill as many General Education Requirements as possible and then accept courses that will apply to your intended major. The rest of your transfer courses will then count as free electives.

Q:   How do I figure out what courses will count toward my major at Towson University?

A:    If you would like to get an idea what courses will apply to your major before you speak to your adviser during the Transfer Program, please visit the following websites:

Q: When is Orientation?

A: The orientation program for students who are transferring into Towson is called the Transfer Program. Part I takes place during the summer and winter breaks and Part II takes place the weekend before classes begin.

Q:   What is an "OA"?

A:    OAs, or Orientation Assistants, are upperclass students who are here to help you adjust to college life. All of the OAs also transferred to Towson. They will lead you through the Transfer Program. These students applied and interviewed for these competitive leadership positions. They also went through extensive training in preparation for your arrival at TU.

Q:   How do I request on campus housing?

A:   In order to live on campus, you need to complete the Online Housing Request Process.

For more information about requesting housing, please reference the information found on the Housing and Residence Life Housing Request page.

Q:   Where can I get more information about Housing at Towson?

A:    Information regarding roommate requests, room rates, and other housing related topics is available from University Housing.

Q:   What are the Barton, Douglass, Paca and Tubman Houses and Millennium Hall?

A:   These housing locations are in the West Village area of campus, and are managed by Capstone Management. They have a separate application process. More information is available online from Housing and Residence Life.

Q:   What resources are available to students living off-campus?

A:   Off-Campus Student Services (OCSS), based out of the Office of Student Activities, is the primary resource for students living off-campus. They offer programs and services for all students who commute to Towson.

Q:   Is there a listing of available off-campus housing options?

A:   Housing and Residence Life offers at no charge, off-campus housing listings for students seeking a place to live and for property owners with housing available.

If you would like to suggest additional questions to be posted on this page, please send an email to New Student Programs with "Requested Transfer FAQ" in the subject line.

New Student Programs
University Union, Room 217 (map)

Phone: 410-704-2309
Fax: 410-704-3930






University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now