Department of Occupational Therapy and Occupational Science
Department Information: General Operation
General Safety Information
Standard / Universal precautions are to be observed
at all times. Use the Towson University Emergency
Resources Guide (v 2.0) to determine course of
action in an emergency.
2. In the event of a medical emergency, keep calm,
act immediately. Activate the Emergency Medical
System by calling 911, then call the University
3. Evacuation Routes
During fire drills and emergency evacuation, the
followings routes should be followed:
*ES 102-108 – Exit via the closest doors and gather
on the patio outside the building on the Osler Drive
side (unless directed otherwise)
*ES 112-117 and 2nd & 3rd floor offices – Exit via
the closest doors and gather outside on the walkway
in front of Tubman Hall.
*Once the instructor has led the class to a safe
spot, each instructor will send a representative to
report to department chair or his/her designee, who
will be on the walkway outside Tubman Hall, or at
the directed gathering place.
4. No classes or activities may take place in the
building unless a faculty member is either present
or designated as assuming responsibility and is in
5. First aid kits located in Rooms ES 115, ES 116,
and ES 117 are stocked with basic supplies listed in
the kit. Report needed supplies to the
6. CPR masks are attached to the teaching station in
7. All flammable products and other hazardous
materials must be stored and locked in the yellow
Flammable Storage Cabinet in ES 115.
8. Only water-based paints and finishes are to be
used for classroom activities.
9. Safety goggles, ear plugs, and gloves are
available in ES 115 for activities requiring
10. Sharps Disposal Containers are
located in ES 108, ES 115, ES 116, and ES 117.
11. Faculty teaching OCTH 217, OCTH 218, and OCTH
600 must attend a Right to Know training
12. Posters summarizing the hazardous waste disposal
policy shall remain posted in ES Rooms 115 and 116.
13. Escort Service is available for any faculty
member or student by calling 47233 or 410-704-SAFE.
consent is required for admission to all occupational therapy major