Department of Occupational Therapy and Occupational Science
V. Department Information: Didactic Coursework
A. Professional Development Assessment
The Department of Occupational Therapy &
Occupational Science is committed to the process of
assessing the development of professional skills and
behaviors in occupational therapy students. The
faculty believe that providing students with ongoing
feedback about their professional behaviors and
development promotes preparation for Level I and
Level II fieldwork experiences. Thus, faculty will
use the Professional Development Form in Level I
courses to observe student behaviors and provide
feedback regarding their areas of strength and areas
of needed improvement. Faculty may use the
Professional Development Form to provide students
feedback for other courses in addition to Level I
Specifically, the students use feedback on the
Professional Development Form to:
1. develop clinical and professional behaviors for
their roles as occupational therapists.
2. engage in self-assessment of professional
3. develop an understanding of the relationship
between one's self perceptions and other's
4. link the academic setting, fieldwork setting, and
5. assist in planning sites for Level II fieldwork
(and Level I fieldwork experience as appropriate).
1. Faculty/Fieldwork Educators complete the form
based on observation of student behaviors.
2. Faculty also may request students to complete the
form as part of a process for facilitating
3. Student reviews the feedback either through
reading the comments on the form or through formally
meeting with the faculty member.
4. This information will be kept in the student's
5. Behaviors and skills will be shared with the
fieldwork educator at the fieldwork site when the
student's advisor and the academic fieldwork
coordinator believe that this information is
necessary in order to plan an appropriate fieldwork
experience for the student.