In the text boxes provided below each item, identify the sentence's simple
subject and simple predicate. When you are finished the exercise, click
the "Check My Work" button at the bottom of the page to check your
1. Has Mary seen the new movie about cats?
2. That joke has been sent to millions of people
over the Internet.
3. There was a small bee in the jar.
4. Near the sink lay a large bottle of soap.
5. When will Hilda buy a new car?
6. Suddenly, the large flame from the candle lit
the curtains in the bedroom.
7. By now, Bill has read Gulliver's
Travels three times.
8. Why isn't anybody volunteering for the job?
9. Each student in this class should write an
essay about the court's decision.
10. After such a cold winter, the townspeople in Newton are
expecting a warm spring.