Exemptions from the reading test are listed below.
• Critical Reading SAT I score of 500 or above
• ACT-Reading score of 21 or above
• Transferring 30 or more units (credits)
• Non-native English speaker (ESL) who has completed TOEFL
• Transfer students with 10 or more credits and less than 30 units who transfer a 100-level college English course equivalent (see below, information for transfer students) to ENGL102 with a "C" or better
Students must meet at least one of the criteria to qualify for exemption from the respective area(s). Any exemption that you meet must be on your Towson University records.
SAT scores must be officially submitted to Towson University's Admissions Office by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) in Princeton, New Jersey. ACT scores must be officially submitted to Towson University's Admissions Office by the American College Testing in Iowa City, Iowa.
If you have completed ACCUPLACER® testing at another college, please compare your score to our placement results on Test Score Information page and fax (410-704-3216) the ACCUPLACER® score report if your score does not require completion of a refresher course.
Information for Transfer Students
Transfer courses must be received, evaluated and accepted before they appear on your record. Unofficial records of SAT and ACT scores or transfer course information may be faxed to 410-704-3216 for temporary exemption until the official records are processed.
Contact the Transfer Evaluation Services at 410-704-3229 to verify course equivalency:
• Freshmen students—for any transferable college-level courses completed prior to high school graduation.
• Transfer students— for any transferable college-level courses completed.
If you qualify for exemption from placement testing, please fax an unofficial transcript, grade report, or updated SAT or ACT score report to 410-704-3216.