An experienced and diverse Athletics Task Force assembled earlier this month to examine and address the three challenges facing the university: long-term financial stability of the athletics department, compliance with federal law concerning female-to-male athlete proportionality, and increased competitiveness of the overall athletics program.
The task force will conduct an external review of the recommendation from athletics leadership to discontinue the men’s soccer and baseball programs and will share their findings with President Loeschke prior to her final decision in mid-November.
The task force will host two open forums for those interested in making public comment. All input will be reviewed in the context of the three issues facing the athletics program: financial stability, competitiveness and compliance.
The rescheduled public forum will take place on Thursday, Nov. 1 at Unitas Stadium Field House, Minnegan Room, from 6 to 7:30 p.m., and will be open to all interested students, parents, alumni and community members. Parking will be available in Lot 21, adjacent to the Towson Center on Auburn Drive. Please look for signs and a parking attendant who will direct you to the lot.
The student forum will take place on Tuesday, October 23 at the University Union, Chesapeake I, from noon to 1:30 p.m. We encourage all interested Towson students and Towson student-athletes to attend.
During the two forums, attendees will be permitted and encouraged to share their feelings about the recommendation that the task force will later discuss in their meetings. The task force will be present to listen and take notes. The forums are not meant for questions, and task force members will not be able to answer any questions pertaining to the recommendation from athletics leadership.
Instead, questions about the recommendation should be submitted through the website form, so that the frequently asked questions are updated with the most pertinent information.
At the forums, a sign up sheet will be available for those that wish to make public comment. Forum attendees are asked to abide by the following guidelines:
• Please arrive and sign up early to ensure you get to speak. We will work to get to as many comments that time allows.
• Each person making comment will be limited to two minutes.
• Please make all comments related to the three challenges facing the university: financial stability, competitiveness, and Title IX compliance.
• Please be polite and courteous with your comments. Profanity, yelling, or personal insults are not productive and will not be tolerated.
• Again, the task force will be there to listen and take notes. They will not be able to answer any questions about the recommendation from athletics leadership.