Section 1: Name
The name of the organization shall be the Queer Student Union (QSU) of Towson University. The members have chosen to use the umbrella term of Queer to be as inclusive to the various communities which compose their student base.
Section 2: Purpose
This organization shall exist to:
- Provide a safe space for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, gender-queer, same-gender loving, omni-sexual, asexual, pansexual, intersex, two-spirited, questioning and ally, hereafter referred to as queer, community at Towson University through weekly meetings and programming.
- To create a community for queer students to foster a greater awareness of queer issues and to participate in outreach to the queer community at large creating equality among all students in the Towson community and beyond regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Advocate for institutional changes and program development that recognize the needs of queer students.
- To promote acceptance and respect for the Towson University community regardless of gender, sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, ability, or religious beliefs.
Section 1: Membership Rights and Responsibilities
- Active members are classified as full-time, fee paying undergraduate Towson University students who attend at least four events a month. Qualifying events are as follows: weekly meetings, fundraisers, programs, or any event associated with the QSU.
- Inactive members are classified as active members who have not had contact with the group for four consecutive weeks. Once a member has become inactive, they must attend four events to regain their Active Member status.
- General members are individuals of Towson University communities and the surrounding community at large who are not eligible to become active members.
- Active, inactive, and general members have a right to confidentiality which will not be violated by the executive board. Other forms of confidentiality cannot be guaranteed by the group or University.
Section 1: Election of the Executive Board
- The executive board of the Queer Student Union will consist of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Event Coordinator.
- To be eligible for election on the executive board, students must be an active member, a full-time student, and have a 2.0 GPA as per the SGA guidelines for executive board.
- The executive board will be elected by Active Members at the meeting on the fourth week of April each year. Votes are to be collected on ballots and tallied by the advisor. Results will be announced by the advisor at that meeting.
- If an executive board position is vacated during the year, it is at the discretion of the executive board to appoint, leave vacant, or hold an election for the vacant position based on need.
- The impeachment process can be enacted by any active member. The advisor shall act as mediator in all impeachment proceedings. Upon request for impeachment, the accused shall be notified of all proceedings and suspended of all duties until the next Queer Student Union meeting is called, at which time a vote can be taken. A majority of active members (50%+1) is required for any impeachment.
Section 2: Positions and Duties
- The President will be responsible for presiding over all meetings of the QSU, and that of the executive board. The President is also responsible for creation and implementation of programming and events that further the mission of the QSU. Point person and liaison between other organizations and Student Government Association.
- The Vice President acts as President in the absence of the President, assisting in the creation and implementation of programming and events that further the mission of the QSU. Additionally, the Vice President assists the Treasurer and Secretary with their duties.
- The Treasurer is responsible for all monetary transactions and all of the budgeting requirements from the Student Government Association. The Treasurer is responsible for keeping track of community service hours and seeking out fundraising initiatives.
- The Secretary is responsible for all correspondence, including the minutes sent out to the organization mailing list. The Secretary must document attendance at all events, and monitor the status of all members.
- The Event Coordinator will work with Events and Conference Services to book room and organize technical services. They will assist the President with the implementation of programs and events.
- Executive board members are to take into consideration the thoughts and ideas of members at large, active, inactive, or general, to further the mission of the organization.
- All executive board members must be present in decision making processes, except in extenuating circumstances.
Section 3: Committees
- Committees will be formed at the discretion of the executive board.
- The executive board will appoint Chairs.
Amendments to this constitution may be proposed to the active members by majority vote (50% +1) of the executive board or by petition signed by one-fourth of the voting membership. Amendments shall be declared and adopted after presented at one general meeting of the QSU and receiving a majority of votes of active members present at a second consecutive QSU meeting, after receiving SGA senate approval.