Transferring New Course Work

Undergraduate Students

Current degree seeking students interested in taking courses at another college/university to transfer into Towson University will need to complete a Transfer Petition Form.

Please Read the Following Carefully:

  • Prior permission from the Academic Standards Committee is required before registering for a course at another institution.
  • You must be a current degree candidate in good academic standing.
  • Course work in which a grade is earned at TU cannot be repeated at another institution.
  • Grades and grade point averages earned at other institutions are not transferable.  Only units for courses completed at another institution are transferable to the university.
  • Courses in which a grade of “D” has been earned at regionally accredited institutions are transferable, but cannot be applied toward a major or minor program or any core requirement that requires a "C" or better.
  • Courses will transfer to TU at the same level (upper/lower) as they were completed at the transferring institution.
  • Courses transferred from two-year institutions will not satisfy the Advanced Writing requirement or upper-level credit.
  • With prior permission, students may take courses for transfer to Towson University until they have attained 90 units.  However, no more than 64 units may be transferred from a two-year institution.
  • Students who have 90 units or more, including current course work, must petition the Academic Standards Committee before registering for courses at another institution by writing a separate, brief statement explaining the reason an exception should be made. Student’s final 30 units toward their degree must be completed at TU. 
    • Exceptions are granted only in cases of extraordinary circumstances.
    • If this course is for your major/minor program, the petition should include a note from the department chairperson supporting the request.
  • Check the ARTSYS website at to see if a course taken at a Maryland Community College equates to a Towson University course.
  • Courses taken out-of-state or at a four-year Maryland institution must be evaluated by the department chair. Provide a course description along with this form to the department for evaluation.
  • Course work completed at institutions of higher education or international institutions that are not regionally accredited, may be considered for transfer credit on a case-by-case basis if there is an equivalent TU course.
  • Signatures:
    • Student’s signature is required as confirmation that the policy has been read.
    • Courses taken at Maryland Community Colleges do not require the signature of the department chair.
    • Department chair signature is required for all courses taken out-of-state or at a four-year Maryland institution.
  • Return the completed form to the Academic Standards Committee, Records and Registration, Enrollment Services Center, 2nd floor for final approval.  Faxes and electronic submission is also acceptable via the contact information at the top of the form.
  • Once the course has been completed, you will need to request an official sealed transcript from the transferring school.  The transcript is to be sent to the Towson University, Records and Registration Office, 8000 York Road, Towson, MD  21252.



Towson Online Services: Login for Web-based student records system using PeopleSoft
  Web-based student records system using Peoplesoft  


Take Note: Transferring new Coursework, link to Transfer petition Form

Transfer New Coursework
Transfer Petition Form



University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now