International Programs

Study Abroad

What happens if there is an emergency?

  • Have a plan, for both home and abroad.
  • Make sure you and your student know where the local U.S. embassy is located.
  • Be aware of travel alerts and any civil unrest in the country.
  • In case of a medical emergency overseas, your student should contact local authorities and local staff at their host institution or program. The TU Study Abroad Office should also be notified.


We also encourage parents to apply for a passport. If you already have one, be sure that it is current and it will not expire while your student is abroad. In an emergency situation, having a passport gives you the ability to immediately fly to your student’s host country. If there is a crisis, we know, the last thing you want is to spent time on paperwork (or pay excessive fees) if your student needs you.

Directory of Physicians

The International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (IAMAT), an international nonprofit organization, provides travelers with info about health risks, immunization requirements for all countries, and medical care. It also provides the names of English-speaking doctors in foreign countries.


Study Abroad Office
Rm. #408, Psychology Building
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2451

Fax: 410-704-4703


TU Study Abroad PintrestVenice, Italy   



University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now