International Programs

Study Abroad

Can my student use financial aid and scholarships to pay for study abroad?

When your student has selected their study abroad program, they should ask their Study Abroad Adviser to complete a Study Abroad Budget outlining estimated and known costs.Costs can include program tuition, housing, food, the TU study abroad fee, passport and visa fees, application fee, flight, books, local transportation, and insurance.

The students should then submit the budget to the Towson University Financial Aid Office and the award will be made accordingly. Students who already receive federal aid may qualify for additional aid up to their maximum loan amount. Students who do not currently receive aid may apply for it to pay for study abroad.

If the student participates on a TU program or exchange, the aid and/or scholarships will be deducted from the TU bill, with the remainder issued to him in the form of a rebate check. IMPORTANT: Tuition remission can applied to TU Exchanges only.

If the student participates on an affiliated program, the aid and/or scholarships will be issued to him in the form of a rebate check. Rebate checks are distributed through the TU Bursar’s Office. IMPORTANT: TU tuition remission cannot be applied to programs.


Most TU, state, and external scholarships can be used for study abroad but students should double check with the TU Scholarship Office or their scholarship administrator to make sure it can be applied to their program. Students can also apply for study abroad specific scholarships.

Release of Financial Aid Rebate

Your student will be issued their federal aid and scholarships following the regular timetable of rebate releases. This timetable corresponds to the TU academic calendar and may not coincide with start dates at overseas institutions.

If the student will not be present at the start of the TU semester to pick-up their check in person, they should complete a Rebate Check Release Form for the Bursar’s Office instructing them where to send their rebate check. They should submit this form to the Bursar's Office for each semester they will be abroad.

The student should not arrange for their check to be sent to their overseas address because depositing checks in U.S. Dollars to an overseas bank account will incur fees for converting to the local currency. Also, we do not recommend that they open a bank account while overseas unless they plan to stay for more than one semester. Instead, they should arrange for their rebate check to be sent to a trusted person who they have asked to act on their behalf while they are away. This person can deposit the rebate check into their account that they are accessing while overseas.

Limited Power of Attorney

We recommend that the student appoints a responsible person to manage their affairs (including financially related issues) while they are overseas. This person must be officially designated to act on their behalf. They should also consider appointing this same person as responsible for managing their affairs in general while they are overseas.

The purpose of appointing a POA is to designate a person to perform certain acts on their behalf while they are away. These include:

  • To receive checks made payable to the student for educational expenses.
  • To endorse and to deposit those checks.
  • To draw and sign those checks to pay for the educational expenses.
  • To sign other documents on the student’s behalf

IMPORTANT: A notary public must notarize the POA. The form should be left with the person designated – NOT the Study Abroad Office. Forms can be requested from your bank or attorney. General forms may also be found online. The Study Abroad Office does not provide POA forms.



Study Abroad Office
Rm. #408, Psychology Building
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2451

Fax: 410-704-4703


Follow us

Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter WordPress YouTube



University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now