International Programs

Study Abroad

Overseas Health Insurance Requirements

Towson University requires all study abroad participants to have health and accident insurance while studying abroad which provides, at a minimum, coverage for emergency medical care and treatment, hospitalization, and physician charges in the country where the Host Institution is located, as well as insurance for medical evacuation, repatriation and medical reunion.

Most U.S. health insurance plans have some limitations for treatment outside the US and very few have medical evacuation repatriation or family reunion benefits so we strongly recommend you purchase supplemental coverage for the duration of your time abroad. You should also maintain your US insurance to ensure continuous coverage for any pre-existing conditions.

Towson University Study Abroad Programs

Students participating on a TU program or exchange will be automatically enrolled in the Towson University CMI Medical Insurance Plan for the duration of their program abroad. Students will receive an individual ID card prior to departure.

Affiliate Study Abroad Programs

Most TU affiliate study abroad programs include health insurance and assistance plans in their program fee. We recommend that you review the insurance benefits packaged with your study abroad program and decide if the coverage provided is adequate.

If you want or need to purchase your own plan or supplemental coverage, the following insurance providers offer overseas medical insurance policies:


Study Abroad Office
Rm. #408, Psychology Building
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2451

Fax: 410-704-4703



Follow us

Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter WordPress YouTube

Iguazu Falls



University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now