International Programs

Study Abroad

Study Abroad Guide

Before You Leave

  • Complete the "Study Abroad Course Form," and submit it to your Study Abroad Advisor prior to departure. See the Course Equation and Registration Guidelines for detailed instructions and information about credit and grade transfer from foreign institutions.
  • Consult an academic advisor for assistance in selecting TU courses for the semester following study abroad. Take the list of courses with you overseas to facilitate the registration process. Make sure to make arrangements with your academic advisor if you anticipate taking courses when you return that require departmental consent.
  • Attend the pre-departure orientation offered by the TU Study Abroad Office.
  • Pay your TU or program bill by the due date.
  • Purchase a health insurance plan which covers you during your time abroad (students participating in a TU program or exchange will be automatically enrolled).
  • Complete your Study Abroad Course Form and Post-Acceptance Information in TU Horizons Online by December 10 for Minimester and Spring semester, February 10 for Spring Break, and May 10 for summer or fall semester.

    Study Abroad Course Form (PDF)

  • Contact the Housing and Residence Life Office to request a release from your housing contract and/or university housing for when you return. Click here for more information.
  • If you are a senior, check on graduation application deadlines and, if necessary, submit your application prior to departure from the Graduation Office's website. 
  • Obtain e-mail addresses, etc., of academic advisors and administrators you may need to contact while abroad. Or use the TU Webpage to look up email addresses.

While You're Away

  • Notify a Study Abroad Advisor of your arrival by e-mail.
  • Contact your Study Abroad Advisor if you want to obtain equivalencies for any courses you didn't anticipate taking prior to departure.
  • Register for classes for the semester of your return online using TU's Online registration system.
  • Contact the records office at your university overseas or program and make sure that an official transcript is forwarded as soon as possible to:
  • Study Abroad Office
    Psychology Building 4th Floor
    Towson University
    8000 York Road
    Towson, MD 21252, U.S.A.
    Attn.: [Study Abroad Advisor].

  • Contact the Financial Aid Office, if necessary, to ascertain needs for the coming year.
  • Arrange housing for the semester of your return.

Study Abroad Office
Rm. #408, Psychology Building
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 410-704-2451

Fax: 410-704-4703

Follow us

Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter WordPress YouTube

Mt. Fuji in Japan



University Police

Closings & News
410-704-NEWS (6397)

Text Alerts
Sign up now