International Graduate Students

Towson University is a nationally ranked university with students and faculty from all over the world. Our suburban Baltimore location and proximity to Washington, D.C., offers our students great internship, research and employment opportunities.

College of Liberal Arts

Towson University is home to nearly 700 international students from over 80 countries and to 30 foreign faculty, exchange scholars, and visiting faculty each year. The International Student & Scholar Office (ISSO) provides documents, services, and programs essential to a culturally diverse academic environment that enhances international learning opportunities for students, faculty, and staff.

If you're ready to apply to Towson University as a graduate student, you'll need to complete the following steps to submit your application.

Application Requirements

  • Apply for graduate admission to Towson University using Towson’s online application. Be sure to write your foreign address. If you are currently in the United States, include your U.S. address as well.
  • Pay your application fee. A $45 non-deferrable, non-refundable fee is required with your application. If you apply online, you can pay the application fee with a credit card or electronic check. An application fee waiver may be available.
  • Submit a copy of your passport. A copy of your passport photo ID that bears your complete legal name must be submitted.

Academic Requirements

  1. Submit an evaluation of academic records (credential evaluation) from WES, SpanTran, IERF, or ASCISS. Please request a course-by-course evaluation including a grade point average (GPA) and have an official copy sent directly to University Admissions.  We require an evaluation of all upper level degrees earned outside the U.S.
  2. Submit scores to confirm English proficiency (IELTSTOEFLPTEDET) scores or successfully complete Towson University's English Language Center (Level VI) program with a grade of B or better. More information can be found online or by calling 410-704-2552.
    1. International English Language Testing System (IELTS): A minimum overall score of 6.5 is required, with a minimum of 6.5 in each section, except where noted. Specific programs may require higher scores. Scores are valid for two years after test date.
    2. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A minimum overall score of 80 iBT (Internet- based) with a minimum of 20 in each section or 550 (paper-based testing) except where noted. Specific programs may require higher scores. Towson University's institution code for TOEFL is 5404. Scores are valid for only two years after test date.
    3. PTE Academic: A minimum total communicative skills score of 57 and a minimum score of 57 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing are required, except where noted. Specific programs may require higher scores. Scores are valid for two years after test date.
    4. Duolingo English Test (DET): A minimum holistic test score of 61 is required for admission. Scores are valid for two years after the test date. Some programs may require higher scores. 
  3. Confirm any additional requirements specific to your graduate program.

Provisional Admission

Provisional Admission for International Students Earning a Bachelors Degree or Higher Outside of the United States.

Towson University offers provisional admission in select programs for applicants who meet all of the Towson University and program specific requirements for full admission except the English Language proficiency requirement. Students who wish to be considered for provisional admission are to contact the University Admissions Office at . Students who are provisionally admitted must complete the following before enrolling in graduate courses:  

  • Enroll in the Towson University English Language Center and successfully complete ELC classes through Level VI with a grade of B or better. You must enroll in the ELC for the term which you were admitted.
  • Earn and confirm the required the English Language Proficiency scores (DET, IELTS, PTE Academic, or TOEFL) prior to the start of the term for which you were admitted.

Admission for International Students Earning a Bachelor Degree or Higher within the United States.

International students who are in the process of earning a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university may be eligible to have the English Language proficiency requirement waived. Once they have completed the baccalaureate degree or higher, they are to submit evidence that their degree was conferred in order for their application to be considered complete.

Note: The following programs are excluded from Provisional Admission. Audiology, CAT (Clinician-Administrator Transition), Environmental Science, Forensic Science, Global Humanities, Health Science, Human Resource Development – Education Leadership track, Human Resource Development – Professional track, Interdisciplinary Arts Infusion, Nursing MS & PBC, Occupational Therapy, Organizational Change, Physician Assistant, Psychology (Experimental, Clinical & School),  Special Education, Speech Language Pathology.

Immigration Requirements 

Non-immigrant international students (F-1 or J-1 visa status) are required to enroll for full-time study. Full time study is defined as a minimum of 9 credits for each spring, summer and fall semesters for students enrolled in master’s and post baccalaureate programs. Full time study is defined as a minimum of 6 credits for each spring, summer and fall semesters for students enrolled in doctoral programs. Since the required courses offered by some programs in a semester may be less than that needed to fulfill the full time study requirement, students needing to maintain F-1 or J-1 student visa status may be required to take classes not associated with the program in order to comply with immigration regulations. This may result in increased tuition, fees and credits beyond the normal program requirements. In addition, non-immigrant international students (F-1 or J-1 visa status) are required to attend the majority of their classes in person and on campus. For a list of programs that satisfy these requirements, contact the International Student and Scholars Office.

If you require sponsorship from Towson University as an F-1 student, you must also submit the following documents. International students provide this documentation in order to receive a Towson University Form I-20.

  1. Copy of immigration documents: biographical page of passport, visa, I-94, and any other relevant immigration documents (i.e., current I-20 or DS-2019, etc.).
  2. Original financial statements that document funds for at least one year of tuition, fees and living expenses. Information about estimated expenses and financial aid is available from the International Student and Scholar Office.

    If another person or agency will be sponsoring you, a Statement of Willingness (PDF) must be included along with the original financial statements.
  3. If you are transferring your F-1 record from another U.S. institution, you must also submit Towson University’s Transfer Eligibility Certificate (PDF).
  4. If you will be bringing your dependent(s), your financial documents must include dependent expenses. You must also submit the following documentation:
    1. Request for Family Member Visa Certificate (PDF)
    2. Copy of dependent passport(s)

If you have questions about immigration requirements, please contact the International Student and Scholar Office (ISSO) at 410-704-2421, or visit them at the Psychology Building, Room 408. 

For more information about international graduate admissions, please call 410-704-2113 or email .

Contact Information

University Admissions

Enrollment Services Building
Monday - Thursday 
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.