DC Tuition Assistance

The DC College Access Act of 1999 provides tuition subsidies to Washington, D.C., residents to attend colleges and universities in Maryland.

DC Tuition Assistance

What types of tuition subsidies are available for Washington, D.C., residents under this legislation?

Two types of subsidies are available for students:

  • For Washington, D.C. residents who attend PUBLIC colleges/universities in Maryland, the program will pay the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition up to $10,000 per year (with a lifetime cap of $50,000 per student).
  • For students who attend PRIVATE Historically Black Colleges and Universities in Maryland, the legislation authorizes grants of up to $2,500 per year (with a lifetime cap of $12,500 per student).

Who is eligible for these grants?

To be eligible, a student MUST:

  • Have lived in the District of Columbia for at least 12 months before beginning freshman year at a college or university.
  • Have graduated from high school or received the recognized equivalent of a secondary school diploma on or after January 1, 1998.
  • Have begun an undergraduate course of study within three years of graduating from high school or obtained the recognized equivalent of a secondary diploma (not including military, Peace Corps, or national service).
  • Be enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate degree or certificate program and be making satisfactory academic progress.
  • Not have completed an undergraduate baccalaureate course of study.

When will the subsidies be available?

Eligible students may apply for tuition assistance for the upcoming academic year. Applications and supporting documentation for the enrolled academic year must be received in the DC Tuition Assistance Program Office by June 30, to receive priority funding. Applications received after June 30, shall be processed on a funds available basis.

What other resources are available to DC residents attending college?

DC residents with financial need will remain eligible for federal student aid and loan programs such as the Pell Grant Program. In addition, the privately funded DC College Access Program provides scholarships, advice, and mentoring to DC public high school students.

Who I do contact for further information?

Call the DC Tuition Assistance Program at 202-727-2824 or contact the Greater Washington College Information hotline at 202-393-1100, Ext. 18.