MD National Guard Tuition Waiver Information
VIII - 2.31 - UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SYSTEM POLICY ON TUITION WAIVER FOR CERTAIN MEMBERS
OF THE MARYLAND NATIONAL GUARD
(Approved by the Board of Regents, July 12, 1996)
It is the purpose of this policy to permit USM institutions to waive 50% of the tuition,
for a maximum of six credits per semester, for certain members of the Maryland National
Guard who are admitted at institutions of the University System of Maryland and register
for credit courses on a space available basis.
- Each USM institution may elect to waive 50% of the undergraduate or graduate tuition,
for a maximum of six credit hours per semester, for regular or special status students
enrolled in credit courses.
- In order to be eligible to participate, a MNG member must have at least 24 months
remaining to serve in the MNG, as certified by the member's Company Commander, or
have agreed in writing to serve for a minimum of 24 months.
- MNG members who wish to register under the provisions of this policy must be admitted
through normal procedures to an institution of the USM prior to enrolling for coursework.
- The member's active status and eligibility for participation in this program must
be certified by the member's Company Commander at least 30 days prior to the first
day of the normal registration period.
- MNG members may register for up to six credit per regular fall and spring semester
at reduced tuition rates. Registration will be on a space available basis; each institution
shall adopt procedures to determine space availability, consistent with procedures
currently in use for participants in other waiver programs (e.g. Golden ID program).
- This policy applies to regular tuition charges for the instructional program only.
Fees, which include such things as registration, application, laboratory or appropriate
self0support fees, are not included under this policy.
- Except for emergencies, health services at institutions where they exist, will not
be available to MNG unless they are enrolled as regular full-time students and have
paid the required student health fee.
- MNG members will be entitled to all normal academic support services, such as library
access and academic/career counseling services, consistent with those services provided
to other full-and part-time students.
- The participation in the tuition waiver program for MNG members is at the discretion
of each institution and, not applicable to the professional schools of UMAB and UB.
Institutions may limit access to specific programs and courses e.g. high demand, low
enrollment, or self support, as warranted; a list of programs not available to MNG
members through this waiver program shall be on file in the Office of the Chancellor
and updated annually.
- If a recipient of the tuition waiver is discharged for a reason designated by the
member's Company Commander, the tuition waiver terminates and the member owes the
institution, within 30 days of discharge, the amount of the tuition waived for that
- Each institution shall develop procedures for the implementation of this policy, including
the development of whatever forms it deems necessary for tracking use of the waiver
- Benefits provided to MNG members under this policy will be identified separately in
the annual financial aid reports to UMSA and MHEC.