Interested in becoming a project manager or business analyst? Certifications from
professional organizations can boost your credentials and increase your competitiveness
in the job market. The Project Management and Business Analysis (PMBA) program can
prepare you for these certificates.
Student Certificate in Project Management (SCiPM)
Offered in conjunction with the American Society for the Advancement of Project Management (asapm), the SCiPM (pronounced "skip-em") is a unique feature of the PMBA program. It allows
students to demonstrate their knowledge of project management to potential employers
and lay a professional foundation for continued studies and advanced certification.
The exam includes sixty multiple choice questions with a time limit of 75 minutes.
Students in the PMBA concentration must pass the SCiPM exam with a score of at least
70 percent to receive the certificate, which is valid for three years from the time
it is awarded. Students will also have their names posted to the asapm website so
potential employers can verify their certification.
The exam is typically administered in December and May. Students are encouraged to
complete the SCiPM as a senior. The exam fee is $65, which includes a $15 one-year,
student membership fee for asapm. The membership fee is waived for existing student
Exam results in the form of Pass/Fail will be available within two weeks of the exam
date in the e-Business and Technology Management Department. The paper certificate
can be picked up from the EBTM department office after six weeks of the exam date.
To be eligible for the SCiPM students must:
- Be formally admitted to the Project Management & Business Analysis (PMBA) concentration
within the Business Administration Major
- Complete or expect to complete EBTM 306, EBTM 443, EBTM 450 and EBTM 462
To Register for the SCiPM Exam
- 1. Complete the SCiPM Exam Registration Form (PDF) and submit to the e-Business and Technology Management Department with a copy of
your unofficial transcript.
- After submitting the form you will receive an email from asapm with instruction to
pay the exam fees online.
- Once you pay the exam fees through asapm, submit a copy of your exam fee payment receipt
to the e-Business and Technology Management Department.
- The department will send you a form confirming your registration. You must bring this
confirmation form with you the day of the exam. You will not be allowed to take the
exam without this final approval form.
Exam Dates and Registration Deadlines
SCiPM Exam Date: May 20, 3 p.m. in Stephens Hall, Room 205
Registration and payment due: April 20
SCiPM Exam Date: Jun. 24, 6:30 p.m. in Stephens Hall, Room 207
Registration and payment due: May 20
Other SCiPM Resources
SCiPM Exam Policies
- To reschedule an exam, requests must be made in writing to the department by the registration
deadline. Failure to do so could result in forfeiture of any paid fees. No shows will
not be refunded fees.
- If students fail the exam on the first attempt, they are allowed to take the exam
one more time.
- Students should bring the registration approval form, H1B pencils and a calculator
to the exam.
- If campus is closed due to inclement weather or any other emergency, the new exam
date will be posted on the e-business and technology management department website.
Certified Associate in Project Management
The Certified Associate in Project Management is a prestigious professional title awarded by the reputable Project Management Institute
(PMI). The PMBA concentration incorporates the Project Management Institute (PMI)
Project Management Body of Knowledge, which the certification program is based upon.
Completing the PMBA program can prepare you to take the PMI’s rigorous exam.
Numerous other professional certifications exist for the fields of project management
and business analysis. The PMBA program lays the foundation for future project managers
and business analysts to pursue valuable credentials to keep their knowledge base
sharp and their skills up to date, including: