Think you've got the next big idea and want to vet it with experts? Ready to practice your business pitch and potentially win prizes to help you get your idea off the ground? We've got some competitions for you.
- Competition is open to the Towson University campus community. Interested participants must fill out this short online form. Email jbaum AT_TOWSON for more information.
- The competition is focused on pre-startup or early stage ideas (a product/service/technology/business) in development. Ideas may be for profit or not-for-profit.
- Ideas must be in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulation.
- Entries may be submitted by individuals or teams. Posters must be turned in to the Student Launch Pad by 5 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 2.
- Applicants are required to have two mentor sessions to review their poster by designated mentors. See startup resources below. Applicants who do not attend two mentor session will be disqualified from the competition.
- Participants must use the poster template (Power Point file). Posters must be 20 inches x 30 inches. Posters can be printed by OTS by appointment for free. See resources section below for details. Posters must be mounted on foam board, which can be purchased from the UStore for $3.49. Submitted posters deviating from the prescribed format will be disqualified.
- All types of ideas are welcome but should be fairly developed. If you need assistance in developing or refining your idea, see startup resources below.
- Successful applications will offer growth potential and scalability. Ideas will be reviewed for the potential to be in business in five years.
- Posters will be judged on concept, clarity, comprehensiveness, feasibility and potential value of opportunity.
- Posters must be 20 inches x 30 inches. Posters should be self-explanatory and visually attractive. Viewers should be able to read a poster in less than five minutes. The participating team member will have one to two minutes to explain their idea to the judging team. Images, diagrams, and graphs are a great way to make your research accessible to an audience with a short attention span. (OTS offers free poster printing. See startup resources section below for details.)
Email jbaum AT_TOWSON for more information.
Learn about particiapting in the competition
Nov. 5, 7 p.m., PAWS
Nov. 7, 8-9 a.m., Student Launch Pad, Cook 401
Nov. 12, 2-3 p.m., Student Launch Pad, Cook 401
Get prepared for the competition with help from the Student Launch Pad team.
Nov. 20, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., Student Launch Pad, Cook 401
Dec. 2, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Student Launch Pad, Cook 401
Free Poster Printing Appointments
OTS Student Computing Services (SCS) offers free student poster printing by appointment. There is no cost, but prints must be in fulfillment of class assignments or for some other academic event, such as a research fair or conference poster session.
To make a 15-minute printing appointment, sign into SCS’ Online Resource Booking System (ORBS) at towson.siso.co/scs, and select Rooms (not Stock). Be sure to read your booking confirmation email carefully, and contact SCS with any questions.
Email mentors to schedule appointments
David Brannon, Management Department
Shanshan Qian, Management Department
Joe Zuccaro, Management Department
Participants are required to use the poster template below. Submitted posters deviating from the prescribed format will be disqualified.