Associate Professor, Deaf Studies Program Coordinator
Ph.D. in Educational Administration, Gallaudet University, 1997
M.A. in Deafness Rehabilitation Counseling, New York University, 1980
B.A. in Communication, University of Pennsylvania, 1978
Areas of Expertise
The Deafblind Community
The Jewish Deaf Community
Academic Status of Sign Language in Institutions of Higher Education in the United
Career Paths of Deaf Studies Graduates
Service Learning in Deaf Studies
Click here for a video about Dr. Cooper!
- ASL Interpreter certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc.
Peer reviewed publications
- Cooper, S.B., Cripps, J. H., & Reisman, J. I. (2013). Service-learning in Deaf studies:
Impact on the development of altruistic behaviors and social justice concern. American
Annals of the Deaf, 157 (5), 413-427.
- Cooper, S. B., Emanuel, D.C., & Cripps, J. H. (2012). Deaf studies alumni perceptions
of the academic program and off-campus internship. American Annals of the Deaf, 157
- Cooper, S.B., Reisman, J. I., & Watson, D. (2011). Sign language program structure
and content in institutions of higher education in the United States, 1994-2004. Sign
Language Studies, 11.
- Cooper, S.B., Reisman, J. I., & Watson, D. (2008). The status of sign language instruction
in institutions of higher education: 1994-2004. American Annals for the Deaf, 153.
- Cripps, J. H. & Cooper, S. B. (2012). Service-Learning in Deaf Studies: Integrating
academia and deaf community. Journal of American Deafness and Rehabilitation Association,
- Cripps, J. H., Cooper, S. B., Supalla, S. J., & Evitts, P. M. (2015). Meeting the
needs of signers in the field of speech-language pathology: Some considerations for
action. Communication Disorders Quarterly.
- Murray, E., Cripps, J. H., Cooper, S. B., & Wynd, M. (2015). Internet access through
American Sign Language: A pilot study of innovative web designs. Reinvention: an International
Journal of Undergraduate Research, 8(1), Retrieved from http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/iatl/reinvention/
issues/volume8issue1/murray/. Date accessed May 1, 2015.
- Cooper, S. B.,& Cripps, J. H. (2015). Service-Learning: Deaf Studies in the community.
In O. Delano-Oriaran, M. W. Penick-Parks, & S. Fondrie (Eds.), Service-Learning and
civic engagement (pp. 287-294). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Cripps, J. H., & Cooper, S. B. (in press). Signed language pathology. In P. Boudreault,
G. Gertz,& J. G. Golson (Eds.), The Deaf Studies encyclopedia. Thousand Oaks, CA: