• Ph.D., Technical Communication, Illinois Institute of Technology
• M.Sc., Technical Communication & Information Design, Illinois Institute of Technology
• M.Sc., International Relations, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine
• B.Sc., Sociology and Management, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine
Areas of Expertise
Technical Writing; Information Design; User-Centered Design; Speech Interface Design
Dr. Lawrence has 20 years professional experience as a technical trainer, writer,
and usability practitioner. Her research focuses on speech intelligibility and the
design of speech interactions for voice technologies, particularly for under-represented
user populations. She has an upcoming publication titled, “Siri Disciplines” in an
edited collection, Your Computer is on Fire, under contract with MIT press, due out in 2019. Dr. Lawrence teaches courses in
professional writing, technical communication and information design.
Lawrence, H.M. “Siri Disciplines.” Book chapter in Your Computer is on Fire. MIT Press. 2019.
Hutter, L., & H.M. Lawrence. “Promoting Inclusive and Accessibility Design in User
Testing: A Teaching Case with Users who are Deaf.” Communication Design Quarterly. Summer 2018 (6)2 pp: 21-30
Robinson, J., L. Dusenberry, & H.M. Lawrence. “Collaborative Strategies for Distributed
Teams: Innovation through Interlaced Collaborative Writing.” Peer-reviewed conference
proceedings. IEEE ProComm. October 2016, Austin, TX.
Bauer, M., & H.M. Lawrence. "Merger within an Individual.” International Conference of Phonetic Sciences (ICPhS). October 2015, Scotland, UK.
Course FALL 2019
- ENGL 317 Writing for Business and Industry
- ENGL 318 Technical and Scientific Writing