Although we do not offer a major or a minor in all languages, we do have a designated
coordinator who can assist with placement in each language. Moreover, the department
has assigned academic advisers for each major and minor program that we do confer.
Arabic Language Coordinator - Dr. Ziad Bentahar
Chinese Language (Mandarin) Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Ping Fu
French Language Major & Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Katia Sainson
German Language Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Annette Budzinski-Luftig
Greek (Ancient) Language Coordinator - Dr. Jennifer Ballengee
Hebrew (Ancient) Language Coordinator
Hebrew (Modern) Language Coordinator - Dr. Eyal Bor
Japanese Language Coordinator- Ms. Reiko Nonogaki
Italian Language Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Margherita Pampinella
Latin Language Coordinator - Dr. Margherita Pampinella
Portuguese Language Coordinator - Dr. Lea Ramsdell, Chair
Russian Language Coordinator
Spanish Language Coordinator - Dr. Colleen Ebacher
Spanish Language Major Advisors:
Spanish Minor Advisor - Dr. Lea Ramsdell, Chair
Spanish Language Placement
- Incoming freshman and transfer students: Please be sure to complete this Spanish placement assessment BEFORE you meet with your advisor on your day of orientation. If it's not complete when
you meet with your advisor, you will delay the course selection process.
- This assessment is not time consuming and it can even be completed on your mobile
- It is the responsibility of each student to complete the assessment.
- You will need to allow some days for your score to upload to your student account.
- If you want to have your score upload expedited, send an email to forl AT_TOWSON with your name, TUID, language tested for, score, and date of completion.
- Students with previous knowledge of Chinese, French, German or Italian who wish to
enroll in a language class should contact the appropriate language coordinator listed
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Exam
We offer the Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Exam to native and heritage speakers and writers of select languages. This exam is not the same thing as the CLEP exam. Towson University does not recognize