Although we do not offer a major or a minor in all languages, we do have a designated
coordinator who can assist with placement in each language. Moreover, the department
has assigned academic advisors for each major and minor program that we do confer.
Arabic Language Coordinator - Dr. Ziad Bentahar
Chinese Language (Mandarin) Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Ping Fu
French Language Major & Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Katia Sainson
German Language Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Annette Budzinski-Luftig
Greek (Ancient) Language Coordinator - Dr. Jennifer Ballengee
Hebrew (Ancient) Language Coordinator
Hebrew (Modern) Language Coordinator - Dr. Eyal Bor
Japanese Language Coordinator- Ms. Reiko Nonogaki
Italian Language Minor Advisor & Coordinator - Dr. Margherita Pampinella, Chair
Latin Language Coordinator - Dr. Margherita Pampinella, Chair
Portuguese Language Coordinator - Dr. Lea Ramsdell
Russian Language Coordinator
Spanish Language Coordinator - Dr. Colleen Ebacher
Spanish Language Major Advisors:
Spanish Minor Advisors:
Foreign Language Placement
- Incoming freshman and transfer students: Students wishing to enroll in Spanish courses who do not already have college credit for the language, are required to take the online Spanish placement test. Please be sure to complete it BEFORE you meet with your advisor on your day of orientation. If it's not complete when
you meet with your advisor, you will delay the course selection process. Please click
here to take the Spanish placement test.
- Students wishing to enroll in French, German, Italian, or Russian courses who do not already have college credit for the language, are encouraged to take the online placement test.
- Please click here to take the French placement test.
- Please click here to take the German placement test.
- Please click here to take the Italian placement test.
- Please click here to take the Russian placement test.
- This test is not time consuming.
- It is the responsibility of each student to complete the test
- You will need to allow some days for your score to upload to your student account.
- If you want to have your score upload expedited, send an email to forl AT_TOWSON with your name, TUID, language tested for, score, and date of completion.
- Students with previous knowledge of any other language offered by the department who wish to enroll in a language class should contact the appropriate language coordinator listed above or the department at forl AT_TOWSON.
Departmental Challenge Exam
We offer a Challenge Exam to native and heritage speakers and writers of select languages.
This exam is not the same thing as the CLEP exam. Towson University does not recognize
CLEP credit for languages.
Tutoring for language courses is available by appointment only. Please contact the
Tutoring and Learning Center.