Frequently Asked Questions

Please call us at 410-704-2512 if you have any additional questions.


Who should consider using Counseling Center services?

The Counseling Center is open to all currently enrolled students who are seeking help with life difficulties and stressors or who are seeking to function more effectively. A student said it best: "The Counseling Center is not just for students who have mental health difficulties; it's for any student who is going through something." 

What services are offered?

The Counseling Center offers a variety of services, including brief individual counseling, relationship counseling, and a number of counseling groups. When needed, psychiatric services are available for our current clients. The Counseling Center offers meditation training and various substance education and prevention services. Our website offers many self-help resources.

How much does it cost to see a counselor?

There is no charge to use the Counseling Center, with the exception of some court-mandated services. 

Do I need insurance?

Because the Counseling Center does not charge for its services, no insurance is necessary. If you do have an insurance card, however, please bring it with you. It will be useful to have your card on file in the event that we assist you with outside services. 

Can I pick my counselor?

Sometimes this is possible, based on your needs and on scheduling availability. All of our staff clinicians, however, are trained to help many different people with many different issues. 

How long do I have to wait between scheduling my first appointment and seeing a counselor?

While wait time varies depending on schedule availability, with 9 out of 10 initial appointments occurring within in a week. Emergency appointments are available immediately or in the same day. 

What is considered an emergency?

Any risk to health or safety certainly qualifies as an emergency, e.g., suicidal thoughts, thoughts of harming others, or difficulties taking care yourself. There are other reasons as well to seek an emergency appointment, such as being in a lot of distress. Our staff can help  you determine whether your current needs warrant a same-day appointment, taking into account your own feelings.

What is the process to get an appointment to see a psychiatrist?

Psychiatry is available to students who are already in counseling services at the Counseling Center. Your counselor will evaluate your need for psychiatry and refer you when needed. 

How many times can I see a counselor?

At your initial appointment, your counselor will help you determine what services are most likely to help you with your concerns. While the number of sessions that you have may vary depending on your personal needs, students are eligible for up to 8 sessions per academic year.  Many clients then graduate to one of our popular counseling groups to continue work on themselves. When longer term or more specialized counseling is needed, your counselor will assist you in getting connected to an appropriate private provider in the community. 

What do I do if I cannot make it to my appointment?

Because our time resources are valuable, it is important to contact us ASAP to cancel or reschedule an appointment. This can be done by calling the Counseling Center at 410-704- 2512, emailing your counselor or Please notify us at least 24 hours in advance when you need to cancel an appointment. Except in emergencies, missed sessions and some late-canceled appointments will result in a $20 charge to your University account. 

What is the difference between personal counseling and academic advising?

Academic advising is a process of determining your academic and career direction, your major, and what classes to take to successfully complete your degree. Personal Counseling is much broader, involving ways to assist you relieve stressors and more effectively and successfully navigate your life. 

What do I do if the counseling center is closed?

If you or someone else is at risk of physical harm when the Center is closed, and the person needing help is on campus, call the TU Campus Police immediately at 410-704- 4444. If the person needing help is off campus, dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. If there is no physical danger but you need to speak with a crisis counselor by telephone, you may call Maryland Crisis Hotline at 1-800-422-0009, or Grassroots Crisis Intervention Hotline at 410-531-6677. Then call the Counseling Center for an appointment the next time we are open.