To strengthen our commitment to our mission of valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion,
Towson University will engage in a strategic planning process that will result in
a five-year plan for diversity, equity, and inclusion covering all constituents.
The Mission and Strategic Plan (approved by the USM, pending the Maryland Higher Education Commission approval)
states a longstanding commitment to creating a multicultural campus which is advanced
by policies and practices that promote the recruitment and retention of diverse student,
staff, and faculty bodies that reflect local, regional, national, and global diversity.
Curricular and extracurricular programming supports the university’s commitment to
diversity and inclusion.
Towson University will further strengthen its commitment to diversity and continue to provide a safe, inclusive, welcoming and peaceful community respectful
to all. Our institutional strategies will expand and continue to provide a forum for
campus dialogue and action.
We will enhance and celebrate a diverse and complex university in the following ways:
- Promote appreciation for and advancement of equity, diversity and inclusion at TU.
- Enhance recruitment and retention of students from underserved and/or underrepresented
- Close the achievement gap for first generation, low income and students from underrepresented
- Support respectful and mutually beneficial community collaboration.
Strategic Task Force Mission
The More Inclusive TU: The Path to Equity and Diversity Strategic Task Force will
engage the entire campus community in this work, which will include students, faculty,
staff, administrators, and alumni. A committee selected by the president will review
specific data from TU, talk with members of the TU community, consider current research
on diversity and inclusion in higher education, and examine best practices. At the
end of this yearlong process, the committee will provide a comprehensive 5-year strategic
plan that will include both short- and long-term actions.
- How do we further promote the President’s Model for Campus Diversity?
- What is the climate on campus related to diversity and inclusion and how is it experienced
by individuals and members of the community?
- What is needed to recruit and retain a diverse faculty, senior administrators and
- What measures can productively be taken to educate and prevent insensitivity and discrimination?
Education & Scholarship
- Assess current programs and initiatives that seek to educate the campus community
about diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Propose recommendations for educational programs that will enhance the campus community.
Recruitment of Diverse Faculty, Staff, Administration, and Students
- Explore the status of recruitment of diverse instructional faculty, staff, senior
administrators and students.
- Provide a plan for best and proven practices in recruitment, plans for institutional
targets and implementation.
- Conduct a review of demographic data to determine: a) the diversity of each institutional
unit and, b) whether individuals have equitable opportunities for success.
- Explore the current programs and practices in retaining instructional faculty, staff,
- Report on best practices in retaining a diverse workforce and student population,
and a plan for how this could be accomplished.
- Gather and review institutional data to understand and assess the institutional climate
as it pertains to diversity, race relations, levels of awareness of campus reporting
and resources of alleged incidents.
- Conduct the collection of data and current research, hold focus groups on specific
topics to gather additional information from the campus community.
- Disseminate the findings, along with recommendations for action.
- Identify and develop an achievable, sustainable, and assessable 5-year action plan,
with a plan for regular review.
- Leah Cox, Ph.D., Committee Chair
- Jennifer Ballengee
- Nathan Barker
- Ziad Bentahar
- Tim Bibo Jr.
- Joel Bolling
- Amanda Burnham
- Laura Clapper
- Brenda Conley
- Robert Giordani
- Col. Charles Herring
- Brian Jara
- Felicity Knox
- Jordan Lean
- Matthew Lenno
- Gilda Martinez-Alba
- Alison McCartney
- Shaunna Payne Gold
- Ardys Russakis
- Lisa Simmons
- Antwaine Smith
- Wendy Whitner
- Mia Williams
- Donn Worgs