Towson: Home Sweet Home
Everyone deserves to be respected, safe, and feel connected, especially when at a
university. LGBT Student Development Program assists the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender,
queer, intersex, and allies (LGBTQIA) community in navigating their own unique challenges
and having pride in their accomplishments. Whether mentoring a TU LGBT student, providing
meaningful programing, or educating the community, the LGBT Student Development Program
supports students and the LGBTQIA campus community every step of the way.
LGBT Student Development is an extraordinary program at Towson University. You may
not realize it, but it is very uncommon for colleges or universities to have a specialized
resources and full-time staff supporting the LGBTQIA campus community.
LGBT Student Development Program offers diverse programs and opportunities on campus
and in the community. LGBT Student Development has significantly grown over the past
few years, making Towson University one of the most inclusive and supportive places
in the Greater Baltimore Area. Some popular LGBTQIA resources at Towson include:
- Queer Student Union (QSU): SGA’s award winning student involvement group that works with the LGBTQIA community
to promote awareness, activism, community, education, and student support on Towson’s
- In The Life: A group for queer people of color and their allies. This organization explores the
intersectional identities of racially/ethnically diverse people who also identify
as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, pansexual, or
- The Greek Alliance Program: A cutting-edge student group at Towson that advocates rights, provides support programs,
and educates the fraternity and sorority community about the LGBT community.
- GenderBlur: A support group and social opportunity for students at and around Towson University
who identify as transgender, gender variant, agender, or who are questioning their
gender identity. Anyone who supports the trans* community is welcome.
- Towson LGBT-Jewish Organization: This group represents the LGBT-identified and Jewish members of Towson University
and their allies. It aims to advocate, educate, learn about the LGBT and Jewish identities,
and to support each other as a community.
- Love is Louder: A campaign sponsored by Towson University, started by actress Brittany Snow, MTV,
and the Jed Foundation, to eliminate bullying on campus and in K-12 school systems
regarding the LGBT community and other groups.
- Pride Mentor Program: An organization that creates a one-to-one relationship between lesbian, gay, bisexual,
pansexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, and ally students at Towson
with a supportive mentor.
- The LGBT Speakers Bureau: A program that educates students at Towson about the LGBTQIA community through panel
discussions and presentations in classes, residence halls, and other university settings.
- TU Ally Program: A LGBTQIA Student Development program that educates faculty, staff, students, and
community members to become allies of the LGBTQIA community. After completion of the
program, participants are given Safe Space rainbow stickers to identify their office
or room as a “safe space” for the LGBTQIA community.
How can you help?
Help a LGBTQIA student find a home on Towson's campus today! Your gift shows that
you care. All of our students are part of the same TU family!
Only with private support can programs like this one grow and thrive. Support a unique
and vibrant program that is empowering and helping Towson students to be their very
best. All donations to the LGBT Student Development Program will go directly to fund
scholarships, programs, and development opportunities.